Chapter fifty-six

I sat in the study I’d been directed to by his housekeeper as soon as I arrived at Kyle's apartment. Which was located in an upscale building that I knew housed just as posh and expensive apartments within — just like the one I was in.

After Kyle's chauffeur dropped me off at the apartment complex, it had been easy to locate his specific apartment by following the directions given by his driver. So, after following directions and riding the elevator to the fifth floor, I knocked at the door with the number 502 on it.

Kyle was in but not available and the door had been opened by his housekeeper. The older woman had then led me to the study, where he was. The interior designing of the house wasn't dull or bleak but it didn't look like it was a house someone like Kyle would own or how the interior of his house would be.

So, I decided that it wasn't where he really lived in. It was beautiful all the same. At least all I saw on my way to the study. As I sat in said study, I took my time looking at the one painting, three pictures on the wall — all artistic pictures.

I also eyed the books on the shelves in the room as I waited for Kyle to be done with his call — one I guessed to be an important business call from the part of his conversation I heard.

Therefore, all I could do was sit across him, looking around while he stood where he had been since I came in. He had given me a curt nod to acknowledge my presence but I knew he was trying his best not to look at me as he studiously ignored me by staring out his glass window as he answered his call.

He finally ended the call and turned to me but looked nervous as he stood while I sat — all in silence. He looked like he was regretting telling me to come as he gazed at me with shifty eyes and a obviously tense body beneath his comfortable outfit of light blue denim jeans and a simple but obviously designer white t-shirt.

I was also nervous and it showed as I found myself unconsciously playing with the hem of my black and red pleated skirt. I had worn a light button up shirt tucked into a dark pattern full skirt to the store and since we agreed that his driver would come pick me from my store, I didn't change clothes.

In my nervousness, I found myself wishing I never honored our appointment or that I stopped at my house to change to more comfortable clothes and flat footed shoes not three inch heels. I also wished I'd gone home to prepare myself if only to gather strength for this conversation.

I should have thought of all that this morning when I went to work knowing I would be here later.

I groaned in my head.

It's better though. Let's just get this over with.

“I had to lie to Caden yesterday.” He began softly.

I lifted my eyes to his as I understood what he meant. “Thank you.” I said just as softly. “I hate lying to him but I'd rather he never knew our history.”

Kyle chuckled humorlessly. “Me neither. I respect Caden and really like him. I don't want him knowing my less than honorable past or hating me for ruining his girlfriend’s life.”

I shifted uncomfortably on the plushly cushioned single sofa where I was perched on the edge of it.

“I was surprised when I saw he was dating you.”

My expression soured and I felt a bitter taste in my mouth as I got his meaning. I am not good enough.

Kyle's eyes widened and he began shaking his head as he rushed to correct his words. “Oh no! I didn't mean it that way. You're more than perfect for Caden. It's just… Caden never dates and there was always the rumors about him and Chloe but he never affirmed anything when he's asked. Not even to Xander or Gage. You know how he is.”