Chapter sixty-four

For some days an idea had been forming in my head. Especially as I spent a lot of time before the thought remembering my last conversation with Caden.

I resolved that I needed to do something about all we talked about. I resolved that I needed to do something about myself — my mental state to be precise. I made my visit to Dr. Harper compulsory. That was a step forward and it had proven easy the more I did it but not fully helpful.

So, I had made a decision that was hard but I knew would be very helpful. The decision had shocked Andrea to the core and made my dad question my sanity. He had actually asked.

I made a decision to go to Wyandotte, Detroit. I informed them of it after booking my ticket and everything.

Now, I was leaving the departure terminal and I smiled softly as I breathed in the air that seemed different from where I came from.

I didn't know how I would find the courage or be able to meet Dex or make him agree to meet me but I'd decided to not leave Detroit till he did.

Though I'd rather I found him within the next three days after my arrival because my bravado just might fade after that time.

Maybe even before then.

From the airport, I had a taxi take me to the only hotel I knew in Wyandotte but had I been surprised to hear from the extremely chatty taxi driver that there was one more hotel, a new bed and breakfast and a private resort too in my little old town.

Apart from that, the drive held surprises as I saw a lot of things that hadn't been there when I was last at Wyandotte.

After lodging into the hotel I'd planned to, I'd walked into my room and collapsed on the bed with a slightly hysterical laugh as it finally sunk in that I was really back in the town I swore to never return to.

Emerald had called and tried to convince me to stay at her house but to see my old house next door and a new family in it for all my days in town would have been stretching my limit.

She'd been stumped but I held firm. However, she had somehow made me promise to have dinner with her and her husband on my first day.

With that in mind, I decided to sleep a little then go to her house after I wake and have that dinner.

I'd braved being in my old street and neighbourhood like a champ. I had almost not gone but I knew I'd have to when Emerald had come to pick me. She'd barged into my room, somehow bullying the receptionist into not telling me she was coming so I'd not run away.

I'd been surprised but amused and relieved to see her at my door because I knew I might have not gone if not for her little stunt.

I'd gotten dressed after that and in her car, I'd been stoic all through the drive and more apathetic as we drove into her garage and I knew if I turned just a little, I'd get a glimpse of my family's old house.

She'd noticed but ignored it. That same stoicness had stayed till I got into her house but then dissolved into warmth the second I saw Mr Ronald Martin, Andrea's father, gazing at me with shock. I immediately guessed he hadn't been told of my coming.

He hugged me with a ferocity that spoke what words couldn't. It was obvious without him saying it that he was pleasantly surprised and happy that I was finally confronting my fears and finding closure.

Dinner was beautiful. It was like old times when our families came together except this time without my parents and Andrea but it still was beautiful and filled me with nostalgia.

I guessed everything here would, but it didn't fill me with its usual amount of fear. This time, what I felt was that I was ready because the bittersweet feeling wasn't that bad.