Chapter fifty-five

Life continued as normal at the store and everywhere else in my life. Or at least as normal as my life could get.

Notwithstanding, an exceptionally positive thing happened in regards to the interview. My name became more known and that was a blessing to my store’s sales.

Thanks, Chloe.

She had tried to contact Caden and when that didn't go well — meaning he didn't pick her calls — she had taken matters into her own hands. She had decided that seeing him would be better so she had dropped in unannounced at his place in LA. She wasn't in luck though as he had temporarily relocated to New York after the interview fiasco so she hadn't seen him but his staff had told him she came by.

The relocation was nice for me as I got to see him more as he worked from here but went to LA sometimes.

One bad thing had been happening though. A number had been calling daily. I picked it once but when I heard Kyle's voice I cut it off.

It was now almost two weeks since the interview and almost a week since the disturbing calls had started. It was getting harder to explain or hide as even Andrea had noticed and asked about the person that I always ended his/her call and I'd lied saying it was no-one — she didn't buy it but she dropped it.

However, for how long?

All in all though, my life was good but slightly unbalanced as usual. I had my store and that was what I focused on.

It was what I was doing at the moment as I sat reclined in my office chair thinking of all these after a meeting with Mia, Jericho and Mathilda after speaking with my investors in LA.

I paused a little as I thought I heard a sound like a knock on the door but I shook my head and ignored it as I wasn't sure. So, I kept on lounging and wading in my pool of thoughts.

I heard the soft knock again and sat up straight because this time I was sure. I looked at the door and answered with a simple, “Come in.”

Julie, a shop assistant poked her head in and smiled shyly at me before coming in but leaving the door open behind her. “Someone is here to see you and I brought him in.”

Her words seemed to fade away as I locked eyes with the brown ones standing behind her. After glaring at Kyle with an intensity that made him shift on his feet in discomfort and made Julie hover awkwardly, I turned to her and gave her a small smile that meant she could leave.

The sound of the door clicking shut behind her, leaving I and Kyle alone in my office reverberated in my mind.

I broke the fierce eye contact with him and closed my eyes as dread washed over me but I tried to keep it all locked behind an icy exterior.

I knew Kyle still stood where he had been left and that it was rude that I wasn't making him feel welcome or offering him a seat but I didn't care. I just wanted him gone.

“What do you want?” I opened my eyes.

The ice in my voice made Kyle flinch just a little. He swallowed visibly before clearing his throat and then taking a deep breath in a way that was like he was gathering inner courage.

“I just want to talk.” His quiet voice almost made me cave. Almost.

“I thought my avoidance of your calls made it obvious what I wanted.” I replied curtly.

“Please, Erica.” His pleading tone matched the pleading I saw in his eyes.

“I have no idea what you want to talk about but we would only be talking this once and then I never want to see or talk to you again.”