Chapter forty-eight

“We are really going to California!”

Andrea made me roll my eyes again — for the same amount as the amount of times she had said those words that afternoon — for the hundredth time. She was sitted on my bed, watching me pack my bags and expressing her disbelief for one too many a time in different words and form.

I gave her a dry look but also a small smile, one filled with reassurance that I really didn't feel. We both needed reassurance that we were going to survive this because going to see Caden's family at his father's Villa was… there was no words for the depth of what I felt — it just had something in common with stark fear.

It wasn't something we'd planned and wasn't something I really wanted to do and neither was it for Andrea, but we had all being invited by Caden's mother and we’d agreed to go so, it was too late for regrets.

Though, knowing I'd see Caden's father was enough for me to be scared even if I couldn't afford regret.

“I'm more scared for you though.”

Andrea's cautious words made me stiffen as I knew what was about to happen. What she'd being getting at all along.

She’d been skirting around the topic of what she heard at Kevin’s — I'd filled her in and all our friends — and I thought she was in full support until it slipped that I'd met Chloe Bennett.

She'd tried to pry information out of me — she'd really tried — but I held firm. I'd clammed up as soon as I noticed my slip and had successfully avoided discussing it since then. But now I knew I had to say a few words to satisfy her curiosity and alleviate her worries.

“We would only talk about this, this once but please, Erica, let us talk about it. It's really eating at me.”

I looked into Andrea's pleading eyes and felt my heart ache as I saw her deep worry. I sighed and straightened. “What do you want to know about her?”

“Is Caden really worth it?”

Her blunt words gave me pause because I wasn't expecting that question but now that I heard it, I wanted to search deep in my heart for an answer. I thought long and hard, I tried to answer her truthfully and for her to know I meant it.

I didn't find big words to say them or long sentences but I knew from the depth of my soul. So, she just had to take it or leave it.

“Yes.” I nodded firmly. “Yes, he is.”

Andrea closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. “I'd hoped you didn't say that but somehow knew you would.”

There was a dramatic pause before she continued. “You and Kevin have told me some of the story so you don't have to repeat it but I'm really worried. Especially about Chloe Bennett.”

Time froze as I looked at Andrea with frightful eyes. “Did you hear anything?”

Andrea frantically shook her head as she replied. “No!”

I sighed in relief then finalized packing and zipped up my bag before turning back to my best friend. “I'm scared too but I try not to worry and I heard she's really not that bad.”

Andrea's eyes narrowed and I saw her bristle at the comment, like she strongly disputed it but didn't want to say anything. Almost like she knew Chloe and didn't like her.

“I'm scared of her family too, they are powerful and this is an offence to them. So, if they do anything, they are not really to be blamed. As in yes, Chloe cheated, yes she is a bitch, but I think Caden's at fault, not by leaving her but by leading her on this long. She and her family will fault him for that too. I'm happy he is with you though. I just hope her family doesn't come after you or him.”