34

Shayla

I anxiously panted as I watched all the doctors run around the room around me as I laid on the hospital bed. My mom, Mrs. Kathie and Rih was on the right side of my bed while my auntie and Kim was on the left side.

"Mommy it hurts", I whined as I looked around.

My vision was blurred as I felt weak due to the pain. I am not understanding why E'mani is trying to come so early. I only had a couple of weeks until she was due, but the doctor mentioned something about my stress level is what sent me to early labor, which has now landed me in an emergency C-section.

I felt my mom squeeze my hand as Mrs. Kathie kissed my forehead and rubbing her hands through my now thin hair. So much stress has caused my hair to shed like crazy and fall out, but the prenatal vitamins are helping me restore some of my thickness.

"I'm scared...I wish Eric was here with me", I say before I bit my lip and stared up at my family.

"He does too, he was trying to get up here but the doctors said its best if he didn't", Mrs. Kathie said before she pressed her lips together and wiping her tears. "He loves you so much"

I smiled with every tear that I cried during this moment. My husband is not here physically with me but to know that he was trying to be here despite his condition, really warmed my heart.

"Mrs. Wright, it's time for your C-section" I heard Dr. Myers say to me as he approached my bed with his surgery gear on.

A worried expression plastered on my face as I looked up at my family. Rih smiled before kissing my forehead.

"You will be fine baby love, I promise you will and when it's all over you will be a mother and when you get that little baby in your arms, it will be the best feeling ever. All the pain, all the tears you cried will be worth it. You and Eric are truly blessed, you may not see it but I promise you baby, you are" Rih said as she kissed my forehead once again.

I smiled as I looked in the direction of the nurses and another doctor entering the room.

"Hello Mrs. Wright, I am Dr. Ballwin, I will be the one delivering your baby through the C-section procedure... we will take good care of you okay?" he smiled as he pulled his facial mask down.

I looked around as all my support system smiled down at me. They joined hands and started praying over me, thanking god and asking him to guide me through this procedure, delivering my baby girl and having a speedy recovery.

"Amen", we all said in harmony as the doctors started rolling my bed out of the room.

I waved to them as they pulled me off to deliver my baby. I winced in pain as the doctors told me that I will be okay and they will get me meds to reduce the pain. I just closed my eyes, trying to keep my mind off the pain.

All of this will be worth it when I get to hold my child in my arms after bringing her into this world. This is not how I envisioned my life to be, but there Is no going back now. I am just blessed that with all I been through, I can say that I remained strong and will be even stronger now that Eric's Mini Me, E'mani will make her debut into the world.

---

March 25, 1995

Rih

11:15 pm

"Wake up...baby"

I slowly opened my eyes to see O'shea standing over me and smiling brightly. I rubbed my eyes as I sat up from laying on the couch in the waiting room. I looked around to see everyone still here and sleeping. It's been some long hours waiting for Shayla to come out of her procedure.