Chapter 11 "Red-handed"

Ever since I found out about Justin's situation, I started to notice certain things. Like how strangely acted when he came back from leaving the room for a little too long, or the shaking in his hands wasn't a trick of the eye.

The others may have started to get an inkling that I knew, or maybe they already knew but didn't want to bring it up. On top of that, Ashley and I did parts of our project separately to prevent us from trying to kill each other but I had a feeling she would end up trying to get me to do the whole thing for her.

I was actually spending time at home today but the house was quiet, reminding me vaguely of Justin's home. My mother was at work and my father clearly wasn't here. I pulled my knees to my chest. He wouldn't be here for awhile, anyway.

My phone rang, sending The Proud Family  theme song echoing through the living room. I jumped and scrambled for it, picking it up in a hurry. "Hello?"

There was a pause. "Hey," Another long pause. "I'm sorry, that was really stupid. I'll hang u-"

"No, no. It's fine," I rushed out and let out a relieved breath when he didn't. "What's wrong?"

"I, uh," He coughed. "Merissa's not here and it's...quiet."

I raised an eyebrow. "Where is she?"

"I let her hang out with one of her friends from school today because she doesn't get to get out often." He mumbled.

A princess trapped in a tower, huh?

"Do you want me to come over? Because I can. I'm not doing anything." I offered.

"That would be great. Thank you." I could feel his smile through the phone and I smiled as well.

"No problem. I'll be there soon." I got up and stretched, slipping into some shoes nearby.

I was surprised that I could easily keep my composure around Justin after finding the drugs. I couldn't tell how deep Justin was in this problem but it was past being prescribed by a valid doctor. My mind flashed back to the different names on the packaging and I shook my head.

I don't want to think about it.

I grabbed my keys off of the coffee table and headed for the door. I locked the door behind me and walked over to my car. I hopped in and pulled out of the driveway with ease. The street lights were good to me today as if they wanted me to get there without any delay. I pulled onto the side of the road and hopped out of the car with as my grace as my body would allow me this morning. I walked down the stone path and before I could reach the door, it swung open to reveal Justin. I raised an eyebrow at him and he stared for a moment before a smirk appeared brightly on his face.

"Nice pajamas."

I looked down and realized that the idea to change wasn't present before coming here. "Oh, I-"

He waved me off and stepped aside so I could come in. "It's fine, I wish I knew we were having a pajama party. I would have wore mine."

I snorted. "Why do I have a feeling your pajamas is just you in your boxers?"

He gasped like he had been offended at the accusation. "You're wrong."

"Am I?"

He closed the door behind us and we headed to The Cave. "Yeah, because my pajamas is my birthday suit."

I playfully wrinkled my nose at him. "Gross."

The room was pretty dark when we entered so I immediately went over to the windows to push the curtains apart and open the blinds. During that time, Justin managed to plop down on the couch with a bowl of grapes, legs stretched across the length of the couch. I put my hands on my hips and gave him a disapproving look.

Our eyes met and he stopped mid-chew. "What?"

I sighed and walked over, trying to move his legs off of the couch so I could sit down. He grinned at me, plopping another grape into his mouth and effortlessly staying in place. Bastard.

"I hate you." I grunted, giving up after several tries.

"I love you, too." It was a harmless, teasing comment but I hated the way my fingers jerked in response to his words.

I was close to gritting my teeth together at my own irritation when Justin pressed his cold fingertips to the back of my neck, making me squeak. He snickered as I spun to glare at him. While he was busy laughing, I snatched the bowl from Justin and stuck my tongue out at him.

He narrowed his eyes at me, playfully. "I was eating that."

I grinned. "Then come get it."

I laughed as Justin got up and reached for me. I ran down the hallway with Justin sported a grin as sprinted to catch up with me. I scrambled up the steps and giggled breathlessly. I didn't hear Justin reach the top of the stairs yet and turned around. "Don't tell me you got tired from that little-"

I abruptly cut myself off and stared at Justin's crumpled form a few stairs up. My breath hitched, dropping the bowl and I hurried down to Justin's side. "Justin!!!"

I shook him and patted his cheek. "Can you hear me?"

His eyes moved under his eyelids a bit before his eyes cracked open. I let out a sigh of relief and helped him sit up. "Are you okay?"

He squeezed his eyes shut and nodded. "I just got dizzy."

I frowned but bit my tongue. "Come on, let's go."

"I don't need to-"

"Shut up." I hissed at him and he kept quiet.

I helped him up the stairs and we walked to his room. I opened the door slowly and sat him down on the bed. I swept my eyes over his slumped frame and I took his shaking hands in mine. "Are you okay now?"

He stared down at our hands and I saw his head nod an affirmative. He squeezed my fingers for a moment before letting go. "Thank you."

"I'm going to go pick up the grapes I dropped. Wouldn't want to leave a mess, would we?" I said, offering a half smile.

His lips twitched in an attempt to smile back and I turned to leave the room. I glanced back at him before I closed the door behind me, only to see him glaring down at his hands like they had done something to offend him.

I shook my head and walked over to the top of the staircase where the grapes were scattered on the floor and stairs. I sighed and crouched to pick up the fruit. "Such a waste."

I moved further to continue collecting the fruit but ended up squashing one underneath my foot. I cursed and stumbled, lifting my foot up to see the flattened grape in its own pool of liquid.

I stared at it for a moment before my jaw popped open in realization. I forgot to ask Justin if he needed anything. I set the bowl on the top of the stairs and headed back to Justin's room.

"Justin, I forgot to ask if-" I started as I pushed open the door but the rest of the words got stuck in my throat.

Justin sat there wide-eyed, prescription box in one hand and water bottle in the other. A grim look was painted on my face as the items fell from his hands. The sound of them hitting the floor made me close my eyes and my body feel weak.

"Justin..." My voice whispered.

And then, he started to cry.

--------------------

All aboard The Angst Train!!!

Destiny did a lot of realizing this chapter.