Chapter 25 "Between The Lines"

"You're slacking."

I fought to keep my face neutral as I stared into Ms. Jester's eyes.

"I apologise."

Ms. Jester rolled her eyes. "Don't say things if you don't mean them. It's unladylike," I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from saying something stupid. "Did you and Ashley even manage to push aside your petty feud to finish your project?"

"I feel as if you listened to me when I asked to change partners, I would have a brilliant project to present tomorrow." I replied bitterly.

"I'd hate to agree with Little Miss Attitude but she's right." Ashley drawled, eyeing me with distaste.

"Glad to see my royal pain in the ass agrees with me." I quipped back.

Ashley geared herself for a comeback but Ms. Jester slammed her hands down on the desk. "Ladies! Take your pesky issues somewhere else or I will send you both to detention."

The room quieted down and I crossed my arms over my chest, ignoring Naomi's flirtatious giggling which was now more prominent in the hushed room.

Ms. Jester took her eyes off of us to glare behind us. "Mr. Delarora, I'd appreciate if you'd keep your hands off of your lab partner or at least try to."

I refused to turn around and look.

"Sorry, Teach." He said but the giggling continued.

"He can do so much better." Ashley whispered, shaking her head.

This was such bullshit.

"You know what, Ms. Jester? We'll have it done for tomorrow. Can I go to the bathroom?" I asked, impatiently.

She waved me off and I practically ran out the door. I closed the door behind me and looked both ways down the hallway. It was empty.

I decided to take the long way around the school and wander. I huffed and stuffed my hands in my pockets. Today was complete bullshit and it isn't even halfway done.

Justin had been gloating in my face all morning that he was as high as a kite (which I glared at Zay for because he was supposed to be watching him to which he shrugged helplessly seemingly as surprised as I was) and he'd been flirting with Naomi all class just to get under my skin. Not to mention, Ashley had been getting on my damn nerves and Ms. Jester. Just... Ms. Jester. Everything about her got on my nerves.

"Destiny."

I stopped in my tracks and turned around. There stood Justin with a grin on his face and I frowned. "What?"

He rocked on his heels and held his hand out. "Skip class with me?"

I stared at his hand before scoffing at his audacity. "Are you serious?"

His grin faltered. "You don't want to skip with me?"

"After what you said to me yesterday and did today, you're lucky I'm not walking off. You can ask Naomi to skip with you." I said, calmly despite my irritation.

He ignored me and took a few steps forward. "I don't want to skip with Naomi. I want to skip with you. Come on."

We stared each other down for a moment before I reluctantly fell in step with him.

"I'm not skipping with you."

"Okay."

He seemed to sober up in the little distance we walked together. Justin glanced at me a few times as if I would disappear without his constant supervision.