Chapter 21 "I Hate You"

"You don't have to be here, y'know?" I asked Justin as Merissa settled into my lap.

"I don't but I want to." He said, smiling slightly.

I narrowed my eyes at him and he adverted his gaze. I spotted the bags underneath his eyes and my gaze softened. "You're tired. Did you even sleep last night?"

"It doesn't matter. Today is about you, remember?" He prompted, silently pleading for me to change the subject.

I wasn't having it.

"Justin, don't you dare pull that shi-"

"Destiny!" My mom warned.

I quickly shut my mouth and shot an apologetic look to Merissa. She smiled goofily and I squeezed her tighter.

Justin gave an amused cough and I sent him a glare that clearly meant that my rant wasn't over. Merely postponed.

I engaged myself in a game of Miss Mary Mack with Merissa while Justin watched silently from the sidelines and my mom sat across from us, trying to keep herself busy. After a few games, Justin and I were attacking Merissa by blowing raspberries on her cheeks and stomach while she laughed breathlessly. My mom chuckled as she watched with a fond but sad smile.

Just as Merissa got away from us, there was a loud knock on the door. The playful, carefree air from before vanished and the living room went silent.

"I-I'll go get it." My mom said as she exchanged a glance with me, wiping her hands nervously on her jeans.

As she walked away, Merissa, Justin, and I settled back on the couch. "You nervous?"

I shrugged. "Should I be?"

"I don't know," He trailed off but the smirk that I haven't seen in awhile appeared, making my heart jump. "But, if you ever do, you can always hold my hand."

I knew that he was teasing. He always was but the longer I stared at his outstretched hand, the more I considered it. I let a airy laugh escape my lips and interlocked my fingers with his.

He let out a surprised noise and I looked him in the eye. "But what if I want to, even though, I'm not nervous?"

His face grew pink and his hand twitched in my grasp. "I think that's alright, too."

"Destiny..." Our heads snapped up to the doorway and there stood my father. He grew a short beard and had more age lines but overall, he was the same.

My lips parted to say a greeting but I couldn't get anything out. Merissa grabbed my other hand and I snapped out of my reverie. "I, uh- hey."

There was an awkward silence and my mom slowly came into the room. "Let's all sit down, okay?"

My dad took a seat on the other couch that my mom was sitting on and I watched as my mom made sure to sit as far as she could.

My dad observed us with familiar brown eyes and cleared his throat. "You've really grown up, Dee."

I didn't bat an eyelash as I responded. "That's what happens after 11 years. Not like you were here to see it."

Justin made a sound in his throat which I didn't know whether it was disapproval or repressed laughter but I squeezed his hand as a warning.

My dad let out a sigh. "You're angry, I get i-"

"No, just stating a fact."

"It's okay to be angry. In fa-"

"Why are you here?" I cut him off once again.