Chapter 28 "Evaluation"

Justin's POV

I woke up with a groan, wincing at the light.

"Welcome back, Mr. Delarosa. You had us worried there." A soft voice said to my right.

"Am I dead?" I whispered. It was so low that I thought for a second that I might have asked it in my head.

"What do you want that answer to be?" Cold fingers prodded at something on my arm and then heard a crinkling noise right after.

I seemed to hesitate at the question and I slowly took a look around the room, recognizing that I was in the hospital. Relief flooded my chest and I got the answer to my question. "If you asked me before, I would have said yes but, now, I'm glad I'm still breathing."

"I'm glad that you're still breathing, too." I finally took a look at the person and a grin formed on my face.

"Hey, Destiny."

Destiny frowned and prodded with my I.V. bag. "It seems you're still kind of loopy. It'll wear off soon."

My grin stayed in place and tried to reach my hand out to her but it was hard. "My arm feels heavy."

"It'll get lighter. Just relax."

Destiny picked up a clipboard and it was the first time I noticed she had of scrubs. "How did you get lucky enough to be my nurse?"

She locked eyes with me for a moment before she sighed. "Mr. Delarosa, I regret to tell you but I'm not Destiny."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Of course, you are. You look like you."

Destiny chuckled. The sound of it changed to a more feminine tone and I narrowed my eyes at her. "I'm a nurse. Your nurse. My name is Ebony."

"Where is Destiny?" I huffed.

The imposter smiled. "I'm sure she's on the way with the rest of your friends."

"They're not here?"

She shook her head. "But they'll be here once they know that you're awake. You were sleeping for quite awhile. So, wait patiently, okay?"

I eyed her suspiciously but listened nonetheless. It's not like I had anything else to do.

-

The doors opened after what felt like endless hours of boredom interrupted occasionally only by a doctor asking me questions.

The first person I spotted is my little sister. A dopey grin grew on my face as she ran over. Happiness poured into my chest and made me feel warm. "Is this an angel, I see?"

She laughed as I ruffled her hair and kissed her forehead. I slowly gathered enough energy to look at the other person in the room and I'm glad I did.

The real Destiny stood there with a soft smile on her face. My happiness was amplified when we made eye contact.

"Justin..." She whispered and it sent a shiver down my spine.

"I'm so glad to see you two." I said, allowing Merissa to climb on the bed and wrap her arms around me. Destiny moved to sit in the chair beside the bed.

Merissa sat up with a pout and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm mad at you."

"I don't blame you. I'm sorry." I said softly.

"Apology not accepted." She huffed.

I frowned. "What do I got to do to make it up to you?"

She thought for a moment before she lifted her pinky finger. "Pinky promise to never ever do that again. Everyone was really scared."

I lifted my hand easier than I did hours ago and wrapped my pinky around hers. "I pinky promise to never do that again and to never scare all of you like that again."

Her smile stretched across her face and I was practically drowning in the adoration I felt. "It's a pinky promise so you can't break it."

"Yep, pinky promises are very important." She giggled and I smiled.

She gave me a hug and I wrapped my arms around her, squeezing her against my chest. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too." She mumbled against my chest.

I closed my eyes, relishing in the moment before looking over at Destiny as Merissa slid off my chest to lay by my side. She smiled and reached out to touch my arm, rubbing her thumb slowly over my skin. "How are you feeling?"

I inhaled slowly and moved one of my arms from Merissa back, grabbing Destiny's hand. Destiny positioned hers so we were holding hands. "As good as I can right now."

She tilted her head in confusion and I sighed. "Whenever this medicine or whatever they gave me wears off, I'll go through withdrawal."

"Oh," Destiny looked down for a second before meeting my gaze once again. "Do you have an estimate of when it'll wear off?"

I shrugged. "Sometime this afternoon, maybe. But I'll be in the Phych Ward by then so I'll be okay."

"That's good." Destiny breathe out.

"Depends on how you think about it."

"What do you mean?"

"The doctor and I talked before you guys arrived. We talked about it. How bad it could probably get because I've been taking them for so long. It was fucking terrifying but she told me I would be in good hands since I was getting the help I needed while it happens. Or, at least, part of it happens." I explained, squeezing her hand.

She squeezed back and shifted in her seat. "You've got this. I know you do."

"You've still got so much faith in me. Tell me why."

"Why is so hard to believe that people have faith in you?" She questioned, sounded frustrated.

"Because all my life I've felt like a failure. I still do." I confessed.

"But you're not! Sure you've fucked up but you've been given the short end of the stick from the start. The both of you. Please understand that. You deserve more than what you think you're worth." Destiny's eyes searched mine wildly for understanding.

"But there are just some things I just can't have." I stared into her eyes and then it was her that understood.

"That's not true because you've already got it." She said softly.

I began to shake my head but she framed my face with her hands and kissed me.

-------------------

Yassssss! 😋😋😋😋 I can't believe I've done this. I think I guessed you deserved a little sweetness before some more hurt.

Listen to that song on top ;)

I've waiting to use that song since I've started this book lmao there's also another one that I'll post with a later chapter. Both of them actually inspired the plot for this spin-off