Chapter 18 "Oops, I Did It Again"

To say this week was interesting and action-packed would be a lie. Marie started taking a more firm place in their life and our friends were keeping a close eye on Marie while trying to find ways to forgive her.

Some were doing better than others.

However, this meant that all of our friends were busy more than not. I went to Justin's house three times this week just to see that weren't there. Everyone else were with their families, doing projects, catching up on late work, or something else that occupied their time.

Causing my eternal loneliness.

I sighed. "When did I become so attached to them?"

I heard my mom come down the stairs, keys clinking as she descended. I glanced at her and my lips twitched up into a smile. "Hey."

"Hey, sweetheart," She walked over to kiss my forehead before adjusting her purse on her shoulder. "I'm off to work."

"You sure you should be working this much? You look tired." She did. She had bags underneath her eyes and the light in her eyes look dull.

She shrugged. "Someone has to put food on the table and pay the bills."

Frowning, I watched as she walked over to the door. She passed one more smile over her shoulder before leaving.

"Love you, too." I mumbled, sadly.

I got up and went to the kitchen to grab a water bottle. I sipped on it for a moment and stood there. Listening.

It was quiet.

I felt something ugly and poisonous rear its head but, before I could face it, my phone rang loudly.

I took a deep breath and went to answer it. "Hello?"

"Hey, bitch!"

A smile twitched onto my lips and I felt lighter. "Hey, Keana. What's up?"

"It's been a couple years and all I get is a 'what's up?' Disrespectful ass." She clicked her tongue disapprovingly.

I started to grin. "Sorry, Your Highness. May I ask what has keeping you occupied?"

"We can take about that later," She said, casually waving me off. "Get dressed. I'm coming to get you."

"I'm already dressed."

"Go outside. I'm pulling up right now."

I couldn't hide my vibrating happiness as I hung up. I slipped on my sandals by the door and left the house, spotting Keana's Jeep parked in front of the house.

Keana stepped out and I raced towards her as she held her arms out. I practically leaped into her arms and she spun me around. "Who's the best cousin in the world?"

She put me down and I stepped back to take a good look at her. Her hair puffed out and around her face like a mane, her face had slimmed down but her cheeks were still her most prominent feature, her big, brown eyes were full of life and adventure, still had her button nose but she added a piercing to it, and she still seemed in shape.

"Me, obviously." I joked and Keana scoffed.

"Get in the car, jackass." I eagerly made my way to the passenger door and got in.

Keana listening to her Jeep rumble to life and turned to me with a smile. "Where to, Dee Dee?"

I closed my eyes and let my head thumped against the headrest. "Over the rainbow."

"Milestone Park, it is."

The park had a pretty place where you could sit under a canopy of trees by the stream. I liked to go to relax and Keana enjoys it, too.

When we arrived, Keana and I strolled down the pathway, taking notice of the few people there. "Lucky, huh?"

I nodded and kept quiet as we approached our spot. We took a seat on the bank and stared into the stream. "This place hasn't changed much."

"No, it hasn't," I commented. I took a look up at the leaves above us. "Where have you been?"

"Traveling the states. Decided to come back for a little while to feel grounded and then leave out again," She smiled as she spoke. "I meet so many people and experienced so many things. Became a hippie. Bonding with nature and shit. Things like that."

I snorted and she laughed. "Weird, right? Who would've thought Keana Jackson would be out here appreciating nature and drinking tea."

"Sounds interesting. Nothing weird 'bout it. I'm proud of you." I complimented.

"Aw, shucks," She toed the water with her shoe as she smiled. "What about you? How's life?"

I blew a heavy breath from between my lips. "Different."

"Different how?" She asked, rolling her eyes.

I sighed and started from the beginning, explaining carefully. Keana listened intently and didn't speak once. When I finished, Keana let out a low whistle. "Sounds like you got a bunch on your plate, sweetheart."

"I mean, it seemed so easy in the beginning. It seemed so easy but I- he needed help and I just couldn't watch when I knew. So, here I am." I said, gazing at the sky again.

"This guy must be pretty special, huh?" Keana prompted.

An uneasy feeling accompanied the jump of my heart. "I guess."

"Don't tell me that you have feelings for the hopeless junkie."

I bristled immediately and whipped my head around to glare at her. "He's not a junkie nor is he hopeless. He's trying." I hissed.

I relaxed at the sight of her smug smile and her hands raised in surrender. "Down, girl. I just wanted to see if you really care about him and not wanting a charity case instead. People can get those confused."

"Sorry." I muttered.

"It's okay. So, you really like him?" She asked, tilting her head at me.

I pulled my knees to my chest. "I think so but this sucks. How can you like someone you're supposed to be helping? So stupid."

"Hey, you can't control when things happen, kiddo. Especially feelings and emotions. They happen when they want to." Keana explained. "Maybe when all of this is over, you can tell him. Who knows? He might like you, too."

I shook my head. "He's too preoccupied with his own problems to develop feelings for me or anybody for that matter."

"Don't knock it. You never know."

I stayed silent and so did Keana. For a few seconds, that is. "And, if that bitch wants to try some trifling shit like that again, I'll psuedo kick the shit out of her ass. Make sure you tell her that, too."

I laughed and it carried down the stream, echoing through the trees. It was the first time I laughed today.

Keana decided that it was getting cold and we decided to go home. The car ride was full of singing and happiness as we belted out the lyrics to Oops, I Did It Again.

We stumbled into the house, giggling and sat down on the couch to prepare to watch a movie.

My phone rang and I answered, smiling. "Hey, ma. What's up?"

"Destiny," She breathed out. "You're dad is coming home."

--------------

I have no self-control​.

Do my readers of Cocoa And Vanilla remember Keana? :') I love that girl

Daddy's coming home~

I'm kinkshaming smh.

Aw, she was genuinely happy for like two seconds. Looks like Destiny's not the only one with problems lolol I decided to make them all suffer :')