Chapter 41 "And When The Dust Settles"

Justin POV

I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed the morning of my release. My roommate, a nice older guy that went by the nickname, Joey, smiled sadly at me and pulled me in for a hug. "You're a good kid. I don't want to see you in here ever again, you hear?"

I clapped him on his back and then pulled away after a second. "I understand. I don't want to be back here either."

Joey shook his head fondly and went to go sit back on his bed. "Tell your girls I said hello."

I shouldered my duffel bag and grinned. "Will do. Goodbye, Joey."

"See ya, kid." He called over my shoulder as I left the room and headed to the commons area.

It was a comfortable little area in the middle of the building. It was decked out in three full length couches that surrounded the full screen television. There were two brown coffee tables between the couches and across the room was a nurse area. It just really was an area the staff could sit and keep an eye on us but nobody really wants to admit that.

My doctor, Dr. Blake, was waiting for me in that area, staring off into space. I jogged over and dropped my bag onto the counter causing it to make a loud thump. She jumped and turned, alarmed but it quickly turned into a glare as she realized it was just me. "Don't do that."

I smirked. "What's up, doc? You look a little startled."

"You're insufferable. Is it because you're going home today?" She picked up a clipboard that was nearby and started to write with the pen that was attached.

"Yep, I get to see everyone and go back home. It's all I could ask for and more."

Dr. Blake's lips curled into something like a smile as she kept writing. "I like all of them. You have good people supporting you."

I hummed in agreement and watched as she finished writing and took the paper out, giving it to me. "Don't forget that just because you're free doesn't mean that you're completely done. I'm going to check in on you in a week or so to see how you're adjusting to being back home."

"Got it." I took the paper from her and scanned the cursive scrawl. It was just a recap of my exercises, what I needed to stay away from, and that I should take care of myself.

"I mean it."

I looked up to meet her gaze and nodded, just as serious. "Thank you for everything you've done for me. I appreciate it."

She smiled, shrugging. "It's my job. Come on, I'm sure they'll be here soon."

Happiness manifested in my viens at the statement and I was practically on her heels as we left the building. Dr. Blake opened the door for me and let me bask in my first moments of leaving building.

I inhaled the humid summer air and let out a satisfied sigh. "Freedom never felt so good."

Dr. Blake scoffed playfully. "Don't be so dramatic. You practically were away at summer camp."

"If I'd ever been, I'd say that it was probably less emotionally draining."

She showed an amused smile and I plopped down on a nearby bench, gazing up at the blue cloudless sky. I heard birds chirping in a tree nearby and I closed my eyes peacefully against the sound. It wasn't if I was never allowed outside here, it was just different now.

"Did you come out of that building a better man than the one you went in as?"

My eyelids crept open at the question but I didn't bother to look at her. "I don't know. But I definitely have a clearer conscience than I did. I wanted to get better for them and I did but I'm not the man I want to be yet."