Chapter 35 "Cocoa"

It was that time of year where thin jackets just didn't cut it anymore and more people were wearing thick jackets and gloves.
Making cocoa in the morning before school was a part of our morning routine now to battle the cold.

Justin was going back to school today after being cleared by his doctor but didn't look thrilled all. Not like I expected him to.

His eyes were barely open, glaring as he sipped the cocoa I gave him. He sat on the couch as he watched me brush Merissa's hair. "Did I always wake up this early for school?"

I smiled at his barely heard grumble and grabbed two ponytail holders. "I don't know. Did you?"

He glared at me and I stuck my tongue out at him. "Don't be such a baby. Merissa is not even complaining."

"Because I'm the best!" She grinned up at me and I kissed her forehead.

"You are."

"Dear God, you were right. We do have a narcissist on our hands." He groaned and Merissa giggled.

I shrugged. "I'm used to it at this point. At least she won't have a low self esteem."

"You're not wrong..." He mumbled as he took another sip.

I fluffed out Merissa's ponytails and let her get up. "We're leaving in five. Justin, go put some warmer clothes on."

After Justin gave the house to the orphanage, the drawer and closet in my room became Justin, Merissa, and my drawer and closet.

"Why can't I just go in my underwear? That's not against the dress code."

I'm pretty sure it is but not like they'd care, anyway.

I stared blankly at him. "Are you being difficult this morning because you're actually like this on school mornings or you just want to get on my nerves?"

We stared at each other for a minute before Justin huffed and got up.

"Thank you!" I yelled after him.

"Destiny, my earring fell out." I turned around to face Merissa who already had her book bag and jacket on.

"Let me see." She handed me the earring and I slid it back in her ear gently, putting the back piece on to make sure it stays in.

"There we go." Justin came back down with sweatpants and a hoodie on.

"Better. Merissa finish your cocoa so we can go. You too, Justin." I said as I grabbed the keys off of the counter. I turned around just in time to see Merissa and Justin chugging the cocoa in sync.

I bit back a chuckle and went to open the door. "Let's go."

We piled in the car and off we went to Merissa's school. The morning was quiet except for the soft sounds of music coming from the radio. It was too early for the volume to be all the way up. I glanced over at Justin and saw that he had his eyes were closed with his head pressed against the cold window. I looked through the mirror and saw Merissa staring out of the window lost in thought. I returned my gaze back to the road as a warm smile adorned my face.

We pulled up in the drop off at the front of Merissa's school and a staff member opened the car door to let Merissa out. Merissa leaned between the front seats quickly and kissed both Justin and I on the cheek before hopping out. "Bye!"

"Have a good day at school!"

"Do your best!"

Justin and I yelled after her and she waved cheerfully before entering through the doors. I drove off and Justin let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" I asked softly.

"Just...thank you. I know I've said it before but I want to say it again. She's been smiling so much lately. I've been feeling good lately and I...just- thank you."

I stopped at a red light and I reached my hand over the armrest to grab at his hand. He tangled our fingers together and squeezed. "I'm glad you've both been getting better. I hope you never have to be in that head space again. It was scary to see you like that. To see her like that. I couldn't do anything but be there and be patient so I'm glad."

"We've never really talked about that, huh?" He said softly.

"No, we haven't."

It was quiet for a long while before Justin spoke. "I thought you were my nurse."

I snorted and Justin huffed. "I was loopy. Don't laugh. Anyway, I thought you were my nurse and I talked to 'you' for awhile before my nurse told me she wasn't you. But she asked me if I was glad that I survived."

"What did you say?" I squeezed his hand and he rubbed his thumb over the back of my head.
"Well, after I heard those words, I remember feeling so relieved and I knew that I was glad to be alive. I told her 'yes'. I was in so much fucking pain during the first week of withdrawals that sometimes it even hurt to think."

I pulled into the parking lot and found a parking space, turning off the car. "What was it like for you?"

I laughed dryly as I stared at the frost lining the window. "What do you think it was like for me? Seeing you laying there...like that. You looked dead. You were pale and your lips were blue. I-I...didn't know what to do but hold your hand until the ambulance got there. I remember trying so hard to be mad at you but I couldn't because I knew what you were going through and I didn't want to mad at you if- when you survived. I care about you way too much for that."

Gentle fingers turned my face and I made eye contact with Justin. "Please forgive me."

I laughed, genuine this time and placed a hand on his cheek. "I've forgiven you for awhile now."

Justin leaned forward and I closed my eyes for a moment. I felt his lips brush against mine as he spoke.

"Is this okay?"

"Just kiss me, you fool."

He closed the rest of the space and I melted into the seat. This was nothing like our first kiss. We were on the same page with this one. My hand traveled into his hair and he pulled away slightly to catch his breath. I leaned in again and the contact caused a noise to get caught up in my throat. Justin nibbled on my bottom lip and they parted with ease. His mouth was still warm from the cocoa he drank this morning and it tasted like it, too. I shivered as the kiss deepened and Justin reached for my hips to try to pull me over to his seat but the universe deemed that was enough.

The loud ringing of the warning bell caused us to spring apart in alarm. We stared at each other for a moment and I watched as color rose to Justin's cheeks. In the silence, realization hit me and my eyes widened. "Justin, we're going to be late!"

He groaned loudly. "Really? After that?"

"Consider it motivation. Come on!" I grabbed my book bag and threw open the door, flinching at the cold for a second.

I ran over to his door as he was opening it and I grabbed his hand. "Let's go."

"Wait!"

"What n-" He kissed me again and I sighed through my nose.

"We'll make this official one day, I promise. Wait for me." He whispered when he pulled away.

"If I can wait 18 years to graduate then I can wait for you."

Another loud bell echoed through the parking lot and I sighed tiredly, a cloud of air escaping my mouth.

"We're late."

--------------

I did all of this in 30 mins and it's 3 mins from midnight... Let me sleep

I did not mean for this chapter to coincide with the story name lmao totally an unconscious decision