Chapter 16 "Mommy Dearest"

When she arrived in the afternoon three days later, there was an unsettling amount of tension in the air like a omen.

Justin's mom was a pretty woman. She had curly black hair that tumbled down to the middle of her back, brown eyes hooded by long eyelashes, and she had full lips adorned by red lipstick. However, I couldn't help but think it was disguise from the burning cigarette dangling from her fingers and the distant smell of alcohol.

I swallowed thickly as I remembered what Zay told me before I arrived. Justin would feel more comfortable with you there rather than all of us being there. If we were, he'd feel cornered and we'll do more harm and plus, it'll feel more casual if you're there. You just happened to be there when his mom arrived.

I remembered Izzy laughing and warning me to try and hold myself back and try not to punch her in the face.

I let out a slow breath and smiled at her. "You must be Ms. Delarosa. Hi, I'm Destiny."

I extended my hand out towards her and she scrutinized it as she took a drag of her cigarette. "Where's my son?"

My hand slowly dropped and I coughed lightly to cover up my awkwardness. "He's inside. I-"

She brushed past me and walked inside. I stared at the spot she originally was for a moment before slowly turning around to face her.

Rude.

"Justin!" Her voice was stern and loud.

There were rapid footsteps and a second pair echoing them. Justin and Merissa came bounding down the stairs and Justin gave a panicked glance at me before he stiffened, regarding his mom carefully. Merissa and I made eye contact and we nodded at each other.

Justin spoke slow and precise Spanish as I closed the front door and walked over to his side. "¿Qué haces aquí?"

She apparently couldn't bother answering back in Spanish and took another pull as her eyes trailed over to Merissa. "Merissa called saying that she wanted to see me. She wouldn't shut up about it, even though, I told her that I'm very busy this weekend."

"And what could you possibly be doing that is so much more important than seeing your child." Justin hissed.

"Oh, honey, if only you knew. You thought you were living in luxury just because? Mommy has to get money somehow." A cruel smile curled onto her face and I shivered.

Justin must has felt my discontent and shifted closer to me, pulling Merissa closer as well. "You're a fucking witch."

She clicked her tongue. "Now, let's not call each other names. There is a child in the room. Let's not waste anymore time. You've got me here and I'm intrigued about what you've been up to since I've been gone."

"Nothing that concerns you." Justin muttered.

Merissa chose to speak up. "We've met Destiny recently."

Their mom looked at me in distaste and spoke. "We've met."

What the hell did I do her?

I huffed. "We have. First impressions are powerful things."

"And she's been helping us. She picks me up from school and spends time with me. She helps Justin with school and sometimes, we go out and have picnics in the park," Merissa stopped her rant and looked down at the marble floor. "She's a good person."

"What are you doing? Trying to adopt my kids?" She laughed humorlessly.

"I'm doing more than you're doing for them." I crossed my arms over my chest.