Chapter 38 "Communication"

"No drinking tonight."

Justin rolled his eyes and brushed past me to get into the bathroom. "I'm not dumb. I know what it could do to me."

"Sorry, I just really..." I trailed off and he met my eyes through the mirror.

"Really, what?" He braced his hands against the bathroom counter.

I looked away and fiddled with my fingertips instead. "Justin, what are you going to do?"

"We don't need to have this conversation right now..." He muttered irritably.

"And then, what? We'll talk about it later? When you're too tired?"

He spun around with anger in his eyes. "I don't want to talk right now! Leave me alone, Destiny!"

I stood my ground and stared him down. "No."

A frustrated strangled sound came out of his throat and he sat down on the toilet lid with his hands over his face. I waited for him to calm down quietly as he took deep breaths.

"I need help, Destiny. I can't keep blowing up at people like that because I get agitated. It isn't fair to you or Merissa or anyone."

"So, what are you saying?" I asked softly.

"I'm going to get help. But just not here." He said, raising his head.

"Not here? How do you expect-"

"I'm not leaving the state. Hardly going far. There's a rehab center in the next city over. I want- I want to go there, Destiny, and I need you to be okay with that."

I worried my bottom lip. "Did you tell Merissa?"

"...no."

"Then you need to tell her that. Not me. Come on, we need to finish getting ready." I left him without further comment and headed to my room.

I picked out some shorts and a tank top and let my hair down. I went downstairs and saw my mom curled up with Merissa on the couch. "Hey, we're about to head out. Just wanted to say goodnight."

"Stay safe. No drinking." My mom answered back.

"We're watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Merissa said.

"New or old?"

"Old." My mom said.

"Classic," I heard Justin thumping down the stairs and kissed my mom and Merissa on the cheek. "And we're off. Goodnight."

I let Justin say his goodbyes and we let in silence. On the way to the Drew's house, Justin grabbed my free hand and sighed.

"Are you mad at me?"

I kept my eyes on the road but I squeezed his hand. "You shouldn't do that."

"Do what? Ask or grab your hand?" He rubbed the pad of his thumb over the back of my hand.

"The latter. You should always ask how I'm feeling. That's good communication. Relationships need that."

He laughed. "We're not in a relationship yet."

"But we're friends, aren't we? Relationships don't always have to be romantic." I teased.

"You got me there." I hummed in agreement and he kissed the palm of my hand.

"I'm guessing you're not mad at me?"

I sighed fondly. "Justin, I could never be mad at you for wanting to get help but you were never going to talk about it."