Chapter 37 "Graduation: Morning"

We worked our asses off in the coming months. There was little time for breaks but, when we did, we made sure Merissa got the most of it. We took her down to the new orphanage to play with the other kids and, sometimes, Justin stayed more than an hour. While the place barely resembled Justin and Merissa's old home (much more lively and child friendly), I could tell it still bothered Justin to be there longer than he wanted to.

Izzy got accepted into the college of her dreams on the West coast, Zay got accepted into a college further up North, Drew was going to a college across the state with Chris, and Orlan was staying to work and take classes from home. I was going to a college on my side of the state and...I wasn't sure what Justin was going to do. We hadn't talked about it.

As the days got warmer, Merissa started going through notebooks like food. They were filled page to page with her diary entries, memories, and stories. I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote a book one day. She was visibly happier and looked healthier, too. She voiced her opinion and how she felt so we'd know. She's come a long way and everybody knows it.

Even though, today isn't about that. Today still resembled victory.

"Ha, suckers! We're going to be out this dump in less than two hours." Drew exclaimed.

"Oh my God. Shut up! There are children around." Izzy hissed as she pinched his arm.

I rolled my eyes and Justin laughed. "This is going to be a long ceremony. We have a big school."

"Will you stay still? Jeez, you're as bad as my sisters." Zay snapped at Izzy as he had to undo another braid.

"Maybe if you weren't such a perfectionist, I wouldn't be so goddamn restless. Ow!" Izzy yelped as Zay tugged on a strand on her hair.

"This is a goddamn nightmare." Orlan muttered, seeing as Chris was resting his head on his shoulder as he slept.

It was a miracle that we were all near each other right now. We had to walk out in 15 minutes but we obviously didn't care and neither did the teachers because no one tried to stop us.

My mom prettied me up this morning, pulling my hair into an up-do and let it fall over my face like a bang. She told me to put on lipstick and eyeliner, which I rolled my eyes at, but complied nonetheless. She picked out my outfit and watched me put it on with tears in her eyes. She kissed me on my cheek and sent me off with a promise to be in the crowd watching with Merissa. Justin chose to keep it simple and wear a dress shirt with jeans underneath his graduation robe. I messed up his hair and he pouted like a child as I did but kissing him on the nose made him smile.

"You're not going to get your hair done in time." I said nonchalantly towards Izzy.

Both Zay and Izzy turned to me and glared with such an intensity that it made me smile. Orlan groaned. "Now, you've done it."

"That's it. I quit." Zay threw his hands in the air and Izzy grabbed him by the shirt.

"You will finish my goddamn hair."

"Finish your own hair, you heathen." He huffed.

I grinned and Justin pinched my cheek. "You're a troublemaker."

"I didn't do anything."

"Is it time to go yet?" Chris asked, yawning.

"Any time now."

I sighed at my squabbling pair of friends and walked over. "Zay, fix your shirt. It's going to get wrinkled."

I turned to Izzy and motioned for her to turn around. "Let me see."