Chapter 13 "Kid You Not"

"Wake up, sleeping beauty."

My eyes cracked open and I squinted at the sun coming into the car, quickly closing my eyes at the pain residing behind my eyes.

A hand grabbed my shoulder gently and I managed to slip a look at Justin who was facing me with a mild look of concern. "Are you sure you're going to be okay? I can't take you-"

"No, no. It's fine," I inhaled sharply and steeled myself to walk into the building that desperately wanted to turn away from. "It's just a headache."

"Alright, let's go." I shouldered my bookbag and exited the car with a grimace.

Justin was always at arms distance like I would kneel over and pass out. I gave him a look that clearly said to back off and he did. For a few minutes, anyway.

I eased my way through the hallways and quickly found our friends hanging out near my locker. I slid in-between them and dropped my head onto Izzy's shoulder, groaning.

Izzy hesitantly rubbed my back while Justin explained. "She's got a mean headache. A migraine, I think."

Izzy instantly cooed at me at me and Drew joined in, trying to baby me as well.

"Well, at least, you don't have to listen to our teachers talk their jaws off this morning." Orlan spoke and I turned my head to look at him.

"Why?" I croaked.

Chris smiled sympathetically. "We have an assembly because we have some visitors."

"Visitors?" Justin echoed.

Zay shrugged and grinned at me. "No one knows who they are so it's probably going to be lame. Which means that you can sleep that headache away the whole time."

I slumped in relief but the bell rang and winced at the new pain forming. I reluctantly moved away from Izzy and drifted over to Justin and Zay. "Ready to go?"

I sighed and Justin gave me another concerned glance. "Yeah, ready to go home."

Zay snorted. "This is going to be a long day."

-

Shortly after getting to class, our teacher announced that we were indeed having an assembly and Justin rubbed my back soothingly.

When we got up to head to the auditorium, I could feel Ashley's hateful stare and I meet her eyes strongly, ignoring the pounding in the back of my skull. She walked closer and passed me with few words. "You're such an attention whore."

I rolled my eyes and waited for everyone else to make their way out of the classroom. I didn't have the energy to entertain her. Justin squeezed my hand slightly and I looked up at him. "Come on, we got to get seats near everyone."

I nodded as he let go off my hand. We exited the classroom and followed the throng of students heading to the auditorium. We entered the loud area and I flinched at all the noise. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea, after all.

"Justin! Destiny! Over here!" Drew yelled and Izzy punched him in the shoulder, pointing to me.

I grimaced and Justin laughed, leading me over to the set of seats they saved for us. Justin immediately engaged in a conversation with Zay and I gladly drowned them out. I slid down in the seat so I could rest my chin in my palm.

The microphone on stage screeched loudly and I clenched my jaw, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Welcome to our first school assembly of the year. We have some special guests today to teach us about a beneficial organization and some interactive scenarios. Please give them your full attention or you can kindly step into my office if I deem it necessary. Thank you." Our principal stated clearly. It can just be summed up to 'do not make a fool out of me and disgrace this school unless you want to be forcibly removed for a few days.'

The microphone was passed as I started to drift off and an energetic voice echoed through the room. "Hello, my name is Ted and I am the president of the H.T.I.N volunteer group," My eyes snapped open in alarm and I sat up quickly. "I brought two of my volunteers with me. This is Janice and Cameron."

Justin gave me a questioning look but I ignored him as my bleary eyes started to focus on the figures on stage. I zeroed in on a familiar face and my lips parted in surprise. Justin's hand brushed against mine and I snapped out of my intense feeling of impending doom, acknowledging him.

"Are you okay?" He whispered, leaning close to me.

I looked back at Cameron's figure onstage who was wearing black jeans and a blue t-shirt that matched his eyes. I turned back to Justin and nodded nervously. "Yeah, it's just... I know him." The president was still droning in the background about the organization.

Justin's eyes darted onstage for a moment before they returned to me. "Do you want to leave?"

"Justin, it's noth-"

"No, I mean it. You have a headache and you look like death warmed over. No offense." He explained, wincing slightly.

"None taken," I sighed. "Thank you, Justin."

"It's no problem," He whispered. "You are trying to take care of me, it's only fair that I could try and return the favor."

I smiled for the first time today and Justin took my hand, pulling me as we crouched our way to the nearest exit.

Mrs. Jester narrowed her eyes at us as we approached her. I smiled nervously at her and swallowed thickly. "I'm not feeling too well. My headache has gotten worse and I don't think I can finish the day like this. Can I go to the nurse?"

Okay, so, maybe sounding like I was excruciating pain may have been a stretch but I needed all hands on deck.

She studied my facial features for a moment before looking over at Justin. "Why are you going along with her?"

"Because she's my friend." He stated, rolling his eyes.

She crossed her arms over her chest and opened her mouth to say something else but was promptly cut off.

"How about the pretty young lady over there?"

I turned around and sure enough, Cameron is standing on stage, microphone in hand and pointing straight at me. My mouth parted in disbelief and Mrs. Jester smirked. "I guess your little trip to the nurse's office is going to have to wait."

"Oh, fuck me."

----

Lol, Destiny was triggered for most of this chapter.