Chapter 22 "The Storm Comes Too Quickly After The Calm"

"Hey."

I looked up as Cameron approached and my lips tipped up into a smile. He sat down beside me on the park bench and we sat down in silence for a few seconds while we watched the kids play on the playground.

"How are you feeling?" He said finally.

I inhaled slowly and shrugged. "Better."

"You have to feel some type of way because you called me of all people to come meet you in the park." He lifted an eyebrow at me and folded his arms across his chest.

"Can't I just enjoy some one-on-one time with my best friend?" I batted my eyelashes for a better effect.

He scoffed and shoved me slightly. "Very funny. What is it?"

"I just...needed a change of scenery." I let out slowly.

Cameron sighed and stood up, holding his hand out. "Walk with me?"

I smiled and grabbed his hand. "Okay."

He pulled me up and pulled his hand away. We started to walk the path around the playground and listened to the birds chirp in the trees. After a few moments, Cameron groaned and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, pulling me in closer. "What's wrong, Ladybug?"

My nose wrinkled up in disgust. "Ew."

He laughed. "You're leaving me in the dark. I had to pull out my last hope."

"Okay, I'll tell you. Just stop." A grin was present on my lips as I watched him laugh.

"Deal."

I stopped walking and turned to face him. "Do you ever feel like something bad is going to happen? Like a foreboding? But you don't want to say anything because you don't want to make anybody paranoid?"

He stared at me blankly. "What? Do you know something I don't?"

"I don't know..." I whispered.

It was true. Ever since I woke up this morning, I had a feeling that something terrible was going to happen. At first, I thought it was because of a dream I had that night and that I was only being paranoid but, as the day went on, I was dreading discovering what the cause of this feeling was.

"I feel like something horrible is going to happen today."

"Then why are you here with me?" Cameron tilted his head at me.

I rolled my eyes. "I just told you why. I needed a scenery change."

"Right, a scenery change. Um," He looked around quickly and then smiled. "Let's get something to eat."

I hummed and he led me over to a food truck on the other end of the park. After arguing for five minutes over who would pay, I won (narrowly) by tripping Cameron and paying before he could get up.

I grinned triumphantly as I handed his hamburger and fries to him. He huffed and took it from me anyway, muttering about me being evil.

I hummed happily as I took a bite of my hotdog and snatched a fry off of his plate. Cameron retaliated by wiping ketchup on my cheek and took a generous amount of my fries while I was distracted with wiping off my face.

We settled down after awhile on a nearby bench and Cameron chose to speak again. "Who do you think is going to have something bad happen to them?"

I pursed my lips for a moment and opened my mouth with an answer but it got cut off by my phone ringing. Both of us jumped and stared at it.

"That's creepy as fuck." Cameron whispered.

I was frozen for a few seconds until Cameron nudged me to answer it. I scrambled to pick up my phone and held it to my ear, answering it in one breath. "Hello?"