Prelude: Deadly Design

Come on Minho. I said in my mind. Understand what I'm doing.

"Are you even listening?" Minho demanded. I clicked my pen once in the pocket of my lab coat. That's when his eyes lowered to my hand, confused by the sound of my pen. "Well are you?" Another click. His eyes lit up.

"I'm listening." I answered in a monotone voice.

"What's going on?" He repeated but this wasn't morose code. All I could do was click one for yes, twice for no. "Okay well are we ever going to be told what's really going on?" Two clicks. He made a face. "Where is Thomas?" I wasn't allowed to talk about what W.I.C.K.E.D was doing so I stayed quiet. His question was too hard for me to answer with yes or no anyways.

"Classified."

"Do you really work for W.I.C.K.E.D?" Two pen clicks.

"Of course I do." I answered easily. He breathed out, still a little angry.

"Are we still being tested? Are there more trials?" Another two pen clicks but I couldn't answer that question out loud. "Are we safe?"

"You are perfectly safe Minho." I clicked my pen two times.

A/N:
Hello one and all, hope you liked that small bit! And I hope you understand the pen clicks. One means yes, two means no! More explanation about that later. Now for a small explanation, halfway through writing Burning curiosity, I decided to drop the love triangle between Minho, Newt and Mallory and decided just to pair Mallory up with Minho. Hope none of you were confused by Newt's lack of presence throughout Burning Curiosity but I decided not to put the heart wrenching ending I had planned for Newt and Mallory and just leave it at how it was written in Death Cure. I hope you all have enjoyed the books so far and are looking forward to this one! See you all in June!