The Return

"Jorge is good at lying." Brenda said as I straightened out my jacket, watching Ashoka tug on her own clothes. They were too big for her. These clothes were all meant for adults but we didn't have anything else to give her.

"She doesn't even look old enough to be a researcher."

"So she'll be an intern, a shadow, someone whose learning the trade. I don't know. It's going to be fine, they won't ask too many questions." I shake my head, not really believing what Brenda is saying but having to trust her on this anyways. I've never been outside of W.I.C.K.E.D so I don't know what it's like out there. She, on the other had, grew up outside of the facility.

"I'll be fine." Ashoka insists. "I want to see what it's like out there." I sigh, I'd be curious too and there's no talking her out of it now anyways.

"Okay let's go. Raven, you and Newt hold the fort, we'll be back soon." She's laying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling but she's dressed like she's going out with us.

"Yup. See you all later." She murmurs. The three of us head to the cargo doors where we meet up with Jorge, Minho, Aris, and Thomas. They're all wearing new clothes and look freshly showered like the rest of us. We have to look presentable at the gates otherwise we'd rise suspicion. The hanger doors are already open, exposing a mostly empty airfield to one side and large cement walls to the other with wrought iron gates and large steel doors.

We exited the Berg, Jorge explaining to us to shut up and do as they say. "They'll only care about the fact that you lot are all immune. They don't care about anything else. The documents I've created all have your first names on them but otherwise, the last names are fake. Respond to them anyways." He quickly showed us our data cards and after we all had our names down, we moved towards the doors. Jorge pressed a button on an electronic pad and a women's voice came from the small speaker.

"State your names and your business here."

"My name is Jorge Gallarga, these are my associates Brenda Esparza, Thomas Murphy, Minho Park, Aris Winters, Mallory Fields and Ashoka Lee. We're researchers here to collect some field testing and data. I'm a certified Berg pilot. I have the paperwork with me if you want to have look." He holds up some data cards and there's a pause from the women.

"Hold please." I get a little anxious as the seconds pass but not even thirty seconds later, the wrought iron bars lift and we're able to step through to the next level of security. Jorge motions for us to follow him, which we do. The gate falls closed behind us. All of us stand around and watch him as he inserts our data cards into a large slot and fills out basic information about all of us. He puts Ashoka's age at fifteen, that's the youngest you can be to work and I hope they don't question it.

"What if.." Thomas said quietly next to Brenda but she elbowed him and he shut up.

"Papers are in order. Please move to the viral testing center." Jorge puts the data cards away and steps to the right where a large panel of wall opens up. A machine sits inside the small area, clicking and whirring away. Jorge sits down at the seat and places his head on the chin rest, eye level with some electronic scanner in front of him. Suddenly, a small wire snakes out and latches to Jorge's neck, only for a second and he doesn't seem to be in pain. The wire retracts and there's a hissing noise. Jorge stands as the panel rotates, as a different machine, looking the exact same as the last replaces it. I guess it's a sanitary thing. They need to make sure that the DNA from one reading doesn't mess up the second one. "Next."

Brenda steps up and we all follow suit. Everyone seems to pass whatever test this is. All I know is that the scan they did on my eyes blinded me momentarily and I had to stop myself from jumping when the wire hooked onto my neck. "You have all been cleared of VCT and are confirmed immune. There are many opportunities for you here in the city but a lot of people don't take to kindly to Immunes so try not to advertise your immunization."