The Right Arm

I took a longer shower in the morning, trying to wake myself up from this nightmare that had become my life. Loosing Newt and Raven in one day had been... Too much. Ashoka cried all night, quietly. I hardly got a wink of sleep I felt so guilt ridden. Why hadn't I known beforehand? Why didn't W.I.C.K.E.D tell me that some of our friends weren't immune? What happened to the others? Selena. Martin. Danny. Eve. Ashton. Ashley. Leia. Carson. Carter. Did Teresa take them when they left? Did they realize that was a mistake? Had they gone crazy already, just like Newt and Raven? Did Theresa have to make tough decisions about what to do with them?

We ate a quick breakfast on the  Berg, nobody really speaking to one another as we did. Jorge took us to the Denver airport again and as we all stood around, waiting for him to lower the hanger door, he again, reiterated to let him do all the talking to get us back into the city. Nobody argued with him as the hanger door slowly lowered. When it touched the ground though, we realized that three people were waiting for us at the end of the ramp. Their clothes were torn and they looked sweaty and angry, I immediately got a bad feeling from seeing them.

"What the hell is this?" Jorge asked.

"Well it ain't no damn welcoming party." I heard Minho say under his breath.

"Shut up Munies." The women in the middle said, pointing her gun at Jorge. "You lot are going to come with us nice and easy got it?" There was three of them and seven of us but.. They had guns, we didn't.

"We're not going anywhere with you muchachos until you tell us what's happening." Jorge said defiantly. The other two men flanking her raised their guns.

"You may out number us but I'm sure that we can kill a good number of you before you get the jump on us." Jorge scowled. I brought Ashoka closer to my side, my hand on her shoulder.

"Fine." They herded us towards a large, white van. The women led the way up front as the two men flanked us on either side. They didn't get too close to us and they kept their guns trained on our heads. The women threw open the back doors and gestured for all of us to get in. It looked just big enough to hold the seven of us.

"Get in. Put the hoods on. Make no sudden movements or we'll shoot you." Thomas hesitated but I shoved his shoulder a little and he glanced back at me as he got in. I helped Ashoka in next and climbed in after her, Minho right behind me. Ashoka shakily put the black bag over her head. It was made of a thick, course fabric and smelled musty as I put it on.

I fumbled around for Ashoka's hand and squeezed it tightly when I found it. Her hands were cold and I could feel that she was shaking. The doors slammed shut and I could hear people moving around and shuffling in front of me, probably Aris, Jorge and Brenda. The van lurched forward as the women said, "Now don't you dare take those hoods off. If you do, we'll shoot you."

The ride was smooth and short. We only took a few turns and didn't stop until we came to the end of the road. Someone must have reached up to pull of their hood because the women yelled at them as the door to let us out was opened again. "Hey!" Aris snapped at someone. I heard several grunts and the scrapping of shoes against rocks and assumed he might have been just forcibly pulled out. I prepared myself as I felt Minho's warmth leave my side. Someone yanked on my arm and I tried not to trip as they pulled me out. Ashoka yelled and she was thrown into me.

"It's okay. You're okay." I whispered to her, taking her hand again as someone pulled on my arm.

"This way." I pulled Ashoka along with me as Minho said some sarcastic ass remark about them being big men with guns pushing kids around. I think they punched him for that. I rolled my eyes. There was the squeal of a door opening and then we were led down a long hallway before making a right and continuing through the building. I couldn't really tell where we were because of the hoods but nothing felt familiar.