Revelations

I had to stand there today, next to Jansen and try not to cry as he listed off everyone who would die of the disease. I tried to catch Minho's eye but he wasn't looking at me, he was staring at Newt. Thomas was staring at me though and it was a look of hate, of distrust. But I didn't know. I didn't know some of them were going to die but they were never going to believe me now.

----

I woke up reeling from my nightmare. They hated me. They didn't trust me. And this nightmare, would soon become reality.

After Brenda had told me that some of the boys and girls I still considered my friends were going to die, I immediately went to the Creator, to my mother. I knew she was probably rolling on the floor laughing. She has always loved causing me pain. And she knew that not telling me that my friends were going to die would cause me the worst pain imaginable.

I marched right into her office, not caring that there were other people in there and that they seemed to be having a rather serious conversation. My mother looked my way and smilies ever so slightly like she knew why I was there and she probably did. She turned to the other people in the room.

"We'll resume this later. Right now, I think my daughter and I will have a little chat." Everyone began to shuffle out but I didn't meet their eyes, I stared straight at my mother who was smiling at me pleasantly.

"Tell me it isn't true." I said in an even voice as soon as the door shut.

"Tell you what isn't true?" She asked.

"You know what!" I shouted. "Tell me that some of my friends aren't going to die! Tell me that they're immune, that they're all immune." She clucked her tongue at me, standing.

"Oh but if I told you that darling, it would be a lie." The truth hit me like a speeding train. I felt like I no longer knew how to use my lungs. The air was caught in my chest.

"Who? I want to know who?" I demanded, finally finding my voice. She laughed a little, going to a filing cabinet while I stood and stared at her now empty desk chair.

"Of course my daughter. I should have told you sooner of course but.. there was never a good time."  Bull. Shit. I hear her rustle through some papers before closing the drawer and walking back to me. Leaning against her desk, she hands me a thin manila folder. I take it from her slowly. Moving the paper clip aside, I open the folder. The first name on the list nearly makes me want to throw up.

Newt

I slam it closed without another word. What has she done? What the hell has she done? She laughs at my obvious despair. "Oh honey! You needn't even worry about all of this trivial stuff. We will find a cure. We will save everyone on that list."

"We're not close." I whisper. "We're not even fucking close."

"Don't you curse at me Mallory." I clench my jaw and swallow hard. "We are very, very close. Thanks to you and Teresa. You have both played your parts very well and the variables both Thomas and Minho have been given are.. Phenomenal."

"Why isn't Minho locked up like Thomas?" I ask, though I think I know the answer.

"Two different variables for two very different boys. Keep one isolated, let the other roam free, let his temper stew, let him know he has no control over anything that's happening." I wanted to tell her she was insane. I wanted to tell her that I hated her. Instead, I stood there as she smiled at me. I couldn't even get myself to look at the rest of the names. "We'll release Thomas next week. You and Jansen will talk to them about regaining their memories and before you take them to the Swipe, you'll read the names off that list."