Fear

Aris tapped his foot nervously as we all sat at the table. Jorge had given me one of the cash cards to use so we could buy ourselves some food if they didn't find Thomas before they got back in time for dinner but Ashoka, Aris and I were too nervous to eat.

"He's so stupid sometimes." Aris frowned after a while. I nod my head slowly. "I can't even talk to him anymore to see if he's alright." He continued, tapping the side of his head. I shrugged.

"I'm sure that idiots fine. He's pretty good at getting out of trouble."

"How are we supposed to know if the others need help?" Ashoka asked. "Maybe they haven't found him yet and need more people to help look.

"If they did, I'm sure they would have come back for us." I look out the window at the dying sunlight. I've always imagined the cities as these beautiful, lit up utopias. That's how my mom used to describe them anyways but despite learning pretty quickly that I shouldn't trust the Creator, I somehow always thought the cities did look who she described them. But electricity is a luxury some people can't afford. "It's best to just wait for them." As if on cue, the door to the room was opened by a key card. The three of us stood up and looked towards it as Minho, Thomas, Brenda and Jorge stepped in.

"Thank god." Aris said with a sigh. I glared at Thomas as he walked in.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I demanded. "Why'd you stick around to watch? You really have a death wish don't you?" I put my hands on my hips as Thomas laughed.

"Nice to see you guys too."

"You all better sit down, Thomas has a story to tell." Minho said, running one hand through his hair before flopping down onto one of the beds. We pulled up the chairs and sat down on the beds in a small huddle as Thomas slowly explained his encounter with Jansen. I cursed as soon as he said his name.

"That bastard. He always shows up. No matter what." Thomas smirked and shrugged a little before continuing. He explained to Aris, Ashoka and I how Jansen had mentioned Raven and Newt. It was kind of a no brainer. Of course he would know what was still happening with the two of them, they still had their implants in.

"Is Raven okay?" Ashoka asked worriedly. Thomas paused.

"I'm.. I'm not sure. He just mentioned that Newt's infection is progressing faster than what was normal." We were quiet, letting this information sink in. "I don't know if that means Raven's having the same problems but he didn't mention her so I'm not sure."

"Newt won't go full blown crazy and try to kill her right?" Aris asked. Nobody said anything.

"Newt wouldn't do that." Minho finally spoke up. Newt was so strong, so sure of himself. He was a great leader and a good friend. I couldn't imagine him hurting anyone, let alone a friend.

"I'm sure the two of them are fine." I said after a while.

"We should still check on them anyways." Thomas said with a sigh. "I wanted to go right now but Jorge said they don't let people in and out of the city at night."

"Which brings us to our next point. Did you guys notice something weird happening outside?" Brenda asks quizzically. Aris, Ashoka and I exchange confused looks.

"What do you mean?" Aris says.

"There was hardly anyone outside when we were coming home. It took us forever to just find a cab. Did something happen? Did you guys notice anything?" We all shake our heads.