Thomas: The Great Escape

"We have to get out of here. Tomorrow if not tonight." I had hissed to my friends.

"I'm not going without Mallory."

"She's a buggin traitor." Newt hissed. "I know you have the hots for her Minho but she made it pretty clear today that she doesn't care about us, that she can't be trusted."

"I don't think she knew about who was immune and who wasn't. You heard her today. She started to cry when she called Raven's name."

"Oh yes, so bloody sympathetic of her. I don't care that I'm dying Minho but I do care that you're wasting all of this talk on that girl." I touched Newt's shoulder.

"She's not a bad person." I said. Newt glared at me.

"Why don't you hate her? After everything she's done." I swallow hard.

"Because while I was in that room, alone, I had dreams of our lives before the Maze and... We were not nice people to her." The tension in his shoulders drops slightly. "Some of the guys teased her, the girls picked on her and we did nothing. We let it happen because we thought she deserved it. I didn't even consider her my friend. I don't even think she really had friends beside Aris." I sigh a little. "I know that we established in The Scorch that she was brave and selfless but.. I just didn't know how selfless until I remembered how we treated her." The three of us were quiet.

"Even if we could somehow manage to escape, how would we get to her?" Newt said in a tired voice. Nobody had the answer to that question.

----

The next morning, everyone looked nervous as we were all gathered in one room to be shown where we would go to take this surgery. Minho, Newt and I had already agreed that we didn't trust W.I.C.K.E.D or their promise that this procedure would give us back our memories. Everyone else, more or less seemed on board with the idea.

At the first room, Sonya, Aris and several other girls from Group B were asked to step into the room. Only one person refused, Aris. "No. I don't want my memories back." He said with a shake of his head. I watched Teresa narrow her eyes at him, like she had tried talking him into it but it didn't help. Jansen, though surprised, allowed Aris to follow everyone down the hallway as more names were listed off.

Not surprisingly, Raven and Newt also declined going through the Swipe. "I know who I am." Raven said firmly. "And I'd rather not remember my life if I'm going to die soon anyways." As we got to the last room, the only people left standing around were the three who had declined going in, myself, Teresa, Minho, Harriet, Selena and Ashoka.

Teresa, Harriet and Selena stepped into the room willingly. While Minho, Ashoka and I hesitated. Jansen looked at us expectantly. "Are the three of you going to go through the procedure?" Ashoka looked up towards Raven who kept up her stony expression. Swallowing hard, Ashoka bravely answered with,

"No. I don't trust you." Minho smirked and put his hand on the young girls shoulder.

"Thomas and I are with you." Jansen eyed the five of us almost in disdain.

"Well, you'll change your minds." He grumbled. Assigning the three girls beds, my eyes wandered the small room and found, Brenda and Mallory standing off in the corner. Neither of them looked surprised to see us. Suddenly Brenda rushed forward, startling Mallory who nearly dropped the tray she was holding. "Brenda!" Jansen snapped. "What are you doing!"

"Don't trust anyone." She whispered in my ear, hugging me tightly. "Only trust me, Mallory and Chancellor Paige." And then her warmth was gone as Jansen yelled at her again. "I'm sorry," Brenda said sheepishly, with a shrug. "I forgot my place."