Friends

I grabbed Minho's hand as he stepped forward and he hesitated slightly, standing just in front of me. He didn't take another step towards Newt. "Newt just listen to us okay.."

"No, I've listened to what you've had to say and now you're going to listen to me." We all waited for him to continue. He exhaled slowly and ran one hand through his hair, tugging at the roots. "I don't have many sane moments left you guys." Minho squeezed my hand. "I can't be anywhere near you guys when I loose it. I don't want to hurt anyone." He exhaled shakily. "I'm staying here. There's nothing you can do to change my mind."

"But Newt." Thomas said softly.

"I've heard enough Tommy!" Newt snapped at him. "You all have some fuckin nerve to come here and try to drag me back with you!"

"You don't belong here. You're not like them." Minho said. Newt turned to us, a wild look in his eyes.

"I am them!" He shouts. "I'm a Crank! I'm loosing my shucking mind and you all better leave before I fucking hurt one of you!" Someone stirred and walked towards our group. I stiffened, ready for a fight.

"You best leave the kid alone. He belongs with us now." The man had dirt and blood smeared on his face and I shuddered at the mean look he was giving us. He shoved Thomas who recoiled at his touch and squared up against him. The man grinned wickedly. "I was hoping for some fun today." The guy tackled Thomas to the ground and as they wrestled on the ground, Brenda tried to pull the dirty man off. Someone grabbed me by the shoulder. I turned just in time to duck the women trying to punch me.

"Get away." Minho said before kicking the women in the gut away from us. She snarled and launched herself at us again. Aris had his own problem to deal with and as more people began to saunter over, looking for a fight, I heard the familiar charge of the Launcher before Newt fired wildly at us. Minho and I ducked as the grenade slammed into the women who screamed and flailed as the electric shock coursed through her.

"Shut up all of you!" Newt shouted. The fighting had stopped when the women screamed. "Now leave you guys! I asked you nicely and now I'm fucking telling you. Go back!"

"Why don't you just shoot us." Minho countered. I grabbed his arm as he moved towards Newt. I watched Newt shake his head.

"Why can't you just fucking listen.." He raised his head slowly. "Leave me alone!" Nobody said anything for a beat.

"Come on." Thomas finally choked out. I pulled on Minho's arm as Thomas and Brenda turned away. They took off running towards the exit, Aris with them.

"Minho please." I whispered.

"Goodbye Newt." Minho finally said and then, turning around swiftly, Minho grabbed my hand and took off running. Thomas and the others were standing near the door, seemingly arguing with Jorge. We only caught the end of the conversation.

"Those crazy Cranks dragged the guards off, nearly got me too but I ran in here to get you guys."

"Well what the hell are we supposed to do now?" Aris demanded. We all looked to Thomas.

"Run like hell." He pushed open the doors of the bowling alley. The commotion seemed to have drawn people our way because they were crowding the street and eyeing us with with what I can only describe as bloodlust.

"Do you know who to get out of this damn place?" I asked him.

"No but I'm sure, collectively, we'll all remember how to get out." Well, we couldn't just stand around and wait for someone to attack us, so we took off running, trying to get out of the Central Zone. As we ran, people screamed and laughed and tried to grab for us. They shouted gross, horrible things at us but we just kept going.