Deception

The only sound coming from the room was Thomas' quiet breathing. I tapped my pen against my clipboard nervously. By now, he had lost all sense of time. Nothing had ever changed in his room. The walls were pure white, along with his clothes. There was nothing in there, not even a bed or a pillow for him to lay on. His feet were bare and I could tell when he was cold by the monitors in the control room.

Right now, he sat with his knees up, head in his hands just staring at the ground. I hated monitor duty. Not only was it boring, it was pure torture. Thomas had no idea what was going on and here I was, spying on him. The Creator had assigned me this task because.. Well, she knew I wouldn't resist and she knew it would cause me unimaginable pain. I hate that she knew me so well. Behind me, the door slid open and a voice called out.

"How is he?" I swallowed hard, biting back a sarcastic remark and began to count to ten, holding my breath. Brenda came to stand next to me, staring intently at the screen. "He looks okay."

"Because he is." I murmured, exhaling slowly. Brenda bites her bottom lip. I don't know if she's actually worried about him or the cure he has locked away in his body.

"Have you heard from the Creator."

"We've never exactly been on speaking terms and I don't actively try to talk to her Brenda or have you forgotten." Brenda shakes her head.

"No, I haven't. I just.. Well Mallory.." I began to tune her out as she rambled about the cure and how so many people would benefit from it and yadda yadda yadda. It was all bullshit. I don't believe in the cure anymore. I don't believe that the cure is humanity's best hope. I believe that they should have just let us die in the Maze, in the Scorch. Everyone would be better off.

I rub my temple as she continues. The only thing that matters to me, is getting Minho to trust me again. But after what the Creator did.. He'll never want to speak to me again. He hasn't wanted to talk to me in two weeks. I, of course was ordered not to go near him and that normally wouldn't stop me but.. What Minho had said to me the last time we had spoken had driven a knife into my heart.

----

Nobody said anything as the Creator continued to discuss their living arrangements. Nobody seemed to really be paying attention to her either. Everyone was staring at me. I, on the other hand, kept my eyes on Minho. His head was almost parallel to the floor. I could see how tightly his fists were clenched from where I stood.

"Now, I'm sure you're all very tired." The Creator said with a smile. "We will have someone escort you to your rooms."  She turned to me. "And you will come with me Mallory if you please." My voice was stuck in my throat so, numbly, I nodded.

I thought I would be reprimanded. I thought they would try to get rid of me. Instead, when I walked into the main control room, everyone greeted me warmly, giving me high regard.

"You played your part so well Mallory."

"Everything you did was perfect."

"How did you get Minho to fall for you like that?"

"He's become a perfect candidate, right next to Thomas of course." All of their comments made me want to scream.

"What is going on!" I finally demanded. "I ran away from W.I.C.K.E.D! I betrayed all of you! You shouldn't be congratulating me after what I've done!" The Creator was frowning at me. She was the only one who didn't seem amused by what had happened.