Back Down the Rabbit Hole

I stumbled as we ran down the corridor. Cracks were appearing in the ceiling of the hallway and I was worried that this underground hallway would collapse before we were able to run back through it. But we couldn't think about that. We had to think about getting everyone out of here.

"So what happened to you Thomas?" Minho asked as we ran around a corner. "Why were they going to cut open your head?" I glanced back at the boys as we ran, wondering the same thing.

"Well, it's where the Flare is so I guess it makes sense. They wanted to do some weird experiments to it. They were going to keep me awake during the whole thing too." Minho laughs sarcastically.

"That's fucking mental!"

"You're telling me! And as my last meal they had the audacity to give me old sandwiches." I started to laugh but was startled when I saw someone at the other end of the hallway. W.I.C.K.E.D soldiers. I skidded to a halt, the boys bumping into me, but the two men charged us. I geared up to fight.

The first guy was just about ready to punch me in the jaw when Minho tackled him to the ground. The second guy kept coming and I managed to kick him in the chest but he only stumbled and came back swinging. I ducked as Thomas punched him in the gut and then in the face. Minho was wailing on the guy on the ground. He looked like he was already knocked out and a minute later, so was the second guy.

"You should shave demanded steak and lobster." I told Thomas, as the three of us started to catch our breath. Thomas laughed and we kept going, throwing open the door to the entrance of the Maze.

"You think I didn't?" We came to the end of the hallway and I opened the only door at the end. "I don't think steak and lobster even exists anymore." The Box wouldn't be working. Power was failing so our next best option was the Griever Hole. I prepared myself to climb the chute.

"Probably not." I replied. "I was amazed they even made pizza for us that night we were "liberated". Now, you have to climb about twenty feet and then the Griever hole is just going to shoot you straight out. Be prepared for the push and try to tuck and roll and not hurt yourself." Minho and Thomas nodded and I threw myself up the chute.

"Do we follow you?" Minho asked as I began to climb up, using only the palms of my hands and the soles of my shoes.

"Yeah! If you can keep up." I heard him grumble something that made Thomas snicker as then I felt Minho's weight inside the chute. I was nearly there anyways. I inched up a couple more feet and then was vaulted up and out of the griever hole. This time, I did a much better job of tucking and rolling. At least I didn't hurt my arm.

Minho was thrown out a minute later  and I stayed clear as he landed with a thump on the ground. I ran over and helped him up as he rubbed at his side. "Yeah, I see how you got hurt the first time." He said, making me laugh. Thomas came out next, unharmed and then the three of us took off running through the Maze. The walls weren't moving and even though the fake sun was out, it didn't make me feel any better.

"Why would they bring them here?" Thomas wondered out loud.

"A better question is, are those shuck Grievers roaming around, waiting to kill us?" Minho asked. I shook my head as we ran past the familiar ivy covered walls.

"I doubt they let the Grievers out of their pods. They want to keep everyone alive in here if they were going to restart the trials." I glanced back at Thomas next. "And they brought them here because it was less destroyed than your Maze."

"What happened to our Maze?" Minho questioned.

"Structural errors. They were trying to correct them before we left. I guess that should have been my first clue that they were restarting the trials." There was another loud boom and we slowed to a jog as I looked up towards the flickering ceiling. The panels for the ceiling were cracking.