Chapter 4-How to Comfort a Crying Girl

It turns out Bailey and I have English together.

She sat next to me in class. I heard some guy whisper something behind us and laughed. I don't know what they said but I think Bailey did. She went kinda weird.

Miss was writing on the board and the class was fairly quiet. Bailey put her head on the desk and started banging down on the desk with a tight fist.

"Shut up. Shut up. Shut up!" She whispered loudly.

The whole class began looking at her. People began whispering.

She lifted her head and buried her face in her hands. I didn't know what to do. I could hear her silently sniffling.

She then quickly got up and just walked out the classroom.

The teacher wasn't impressed.

I looked down at where Bailey had sat. She had left her bag and her books. I swept our books off the desk and into our bags. Miss gave me a death glare as I jogged out of the classroom.

It seemed like forever until I found Bailey. The sound of crying echoed out of the girl's bathroom.

I stopped. I sighed. She just had to go to the girl's bathroom didn't she?

It was strange walking into the girl's bathroom. It's a different kind of strange though. A pleasant strange. It's...cleaner in here than it is in the boy's toilets. And they have mirrors in here too.

I found Bailey huddled up in the corner. Her cheeks were wet. Throwing myself down on the floor next to her, I wrapped my arms around her. That's what they do in movies right?

She sniffled into my jumper. I was too scared to speak. Never in my life have I ever comforted a crying girl.

"Of all the places in the school, you had to go into the girl's bathroom didn't you?" I finally said, trying to lighten the mood.

Bailey sat up from my grip and punched me in the shoulder. It was a nice punch too. I forgot she has three brothers.

She got up and slunk her way over to the sink. I watched as she lifted her sleeve and splashed water onto her wrist. I slowly rose from where I was sitting. Carefully, I grabbed her arm. I looked her in the eye, down at her cut wrist then back up.

"I-I'm sorry. It w-was the only way I-I could make t-the voices go away," Bailey stuttered.

I pulled her back into another hug.

"I'm sorry too," I whispered into her ear, "Let me try to help."