Chapter 16-Teddy Bear Memories

I don't know how I came up with the idea to take teddy bears to the hospital. I just did.

I texted my uncle to tell him I'd be home later than usual and walked up to the hospital with a garbage bag slung over both shoulders. Passersby gave me strange looks, especially the receptionist at the hospital, but I didn't care. It was for a good cause.

It was entertaining really. I passed the janitor in the hospital on the way to the children's ward and he tried to get me to put the garbage bags in the bin he was wheeling around. The janitor was embarrassed when I told him the real reason behind my two garbage bags.

I stood at the door of the children's ward. I took a deep breathe. I wasn't one to like being the center of attention and feared as soon as I began handing out teddies out of these bags that I would be stranded in an ocean of kids.

Luckily, it wasn't too bad.

I pulled open the door and walked in. Curious big round eyes darted their attention to me; the stranger holding garbage bags. A nurse came over to me.

"W-would you mind holding this for me for a second?" I nervously smiled.

Taking the bag from my grip, the nurse took a peak inside the garbage bag and her mouth fell open. She wasn't expecting the stranger's garbage bags to be filled with teddies. She, however, stood there with patience as I slowly made my way to a small table where 4 children were playing.

I grabbed a miniature chair from the table and sat with the 4 kids. Their eyes, filled with curiosity and some fear, looked at me.

"You're all very brave, you know that?" I nervously smiled, "You guys go through so much and I hope you all get well soon."

Their faces began to brighten as they came to realise that I was no threat. I began to feel more confident and my nervous smile turned more gentle. Reaching into my garbage bag, I pulled out one teddy at a time and handed them to the 4 kids. The first kid beamed with joy, as did the 2nd. The 3rd kid hugged me, as did the 4th.

I stood up and 2 more kids came running over. I got on my knees and with an even brighter smile, I recited my lines and handed out the teddy bears.

From there, I began making my way to each of the children who had remained in their beds. Repeating my lines, I handed out more teddies.

I got to the last child. The little white board sitting above her bed read 'Winter Evens'.

"You must be Winter," I began to say as I knelt down beside the bed, "You know your grandma is a lovely person. I was talking to her just this afternoon. She wanted me to tell you she says hello."

The girl smiled at me innocently between each horrid cough. She only seemed 5 years old. Its terrible to see such young children so sick.

"I have something extra special for an extra special little girl like you," I told her as I noticed her obvious love of pink and grabbed out a pink teddy bear, "This is just for you and I want you to have it because no one, especially you, deserves to be in hospital. I hope you get well soon."

"Are you Santa?!" Winter beamed.

"Sorry, I'm not Santa," I laughed, "I'm Elliot."

"Well you should be Santa. You make a good Santa," Winter smiled as she gave me a hug.

Walking out of the ward, you could just see the happiness radiated off of Winter as she hugged her new pink teddy bear.