Chapter 15-Teddy Bear Hunter

It was so generous of Jax's mum to give me so much money. Especially when she's going through such a hard time herself.

I tried to hand it back to her when nobody was looking but she refused to take it back.

I decided today that I might take a small detour through the main street on my way home from school.  I was feeling kinda hungry and there's this great sushi place in the main street.

I was thinking about what I might do with the bank cheque when just past the sushi place I saw a small reject shop. As I walked passed the shop, I looked in the window. In the window sat a lovely collection of different teddy bears.

I stood there staring at the bears. I must have been standing there a while because an elderly woman came out of the store, stood next to me and asked if I was ok.

I simply nodded.

"I was just thinking," I said.

"Very well," the elderly woman replied before heading back into the store. I was guessing this was where she worked.

I walked into the small reject shop. These sort of stores always hold the same scent. Walking to the counter, I smiled.

"You don't by any change have a large bag do you? A garbage bag maybe?" I asked the little lady at the counter.

She looked up at me confused. I guess it was an odd request. Shrugging, she went off into another room and came back with a garbage bag and another one just in case.

Going to the teddy bear display, I began filling my garbage bag with the stuffed toys. Fluffy ones and scruffy ones, brown ones and colourful ones. All the bears went in. It was a good thing the little lady had grabbed two garbage bags for me. Waltzing through the store, I picked up some more. Some quite cute with their little sewn on patches.

My bags were full. The store was empty of teddy bears. I dumped the garbage bags on the counter.

"How much will this cost?" I smiled at the little lady.

She looked at me shocked. She couldn't believe I was buying all the bears in the store.

"I didn't even know we had some many teddies in the store? Why on Earth would a boy your age want so many teddies?" She asked.

"Well...I like to make people happy. I saw the bears in the window and thought I might buy them. Take 'em up to the kids up at the hospital," I replied.

The little lady's face melted with awe.

"That's so kind of you," she smiled as she began handing the garbage bags back to me, "You know what? Don't you worry about paying one cent. I'm just going to guess the cost and pay it myself. You go take these teddies to those kids at the hospital."

"Are you sure?" I asked. She nodded. "Thank you," I smiled back, grabbing the garbage bags.

"No thank you. I have a granddaughter in there. Her name's Winter. You'll make her day. You'll say hello to her for me, won't you?"

"Will do," I nodded.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Writer's tip no.3-Editing can be a lifesaver