Chapter 14-The Origin of the Bank Cheque

Jax's mum had just finished her first round of chemotherapy.

She has 30 minutes before she can leave the hospital as the doctor wants to ensure she doesn't have any problems with the medication they gave her whilst she was having her first lot of chemotherapy.

Bailey, Jax and I walked into the room. We brought along with us a bouquet of gerberas; Jax's mum's favourite flowers.

"Hey, Mrs Valder. How you feeling?" Bailey asked Jax's mum.

"I'm not doing too bad thanks darl. You can call me Susan if you like," She replied. "And you must be the famous Elliot I've been hearing all about," Susan said as she directed her attention to me, "Come closer, I want to have a special word with you."

I was momentarily confused. I've never met this woman before. What is it that she'd like to tell me? However, I obeyed the ill lady and leaned in closer.

"It's a lovely thing you do for people. You ought to be awarded for your efforts, boy," Susan whispered as she pulled a small folded piece of paper from her pocket, "Here's for your troubles and to all the help you'll give others in time to come. Just our little secret, ok? Don't waste it."

And with that I was handed the small folded piece of paper. I nodded with a thank you.

Moving out of the way to let Jax be by his mother's side, I stood a meter off the end of the bed and unfolded the piece of paper.

It was a bank cheque. It was a bank cheque written for $1000. My eyes popped out of my head. I couldn't believe it. Susan smiled at me. I shook my head. She nodded. Jax looked at the two of us confused. Bailey looked at Jax confused.

We stood there stuck in time for about a minute. Luckily we were interrupted by two pairs of bouncy blonde piggy tails skipping into the room. Jax's little sisters had arrived and behind them walked in their dad. Jax looks just like his father.