Chapter 9-Three Voices, One Song

I walked over to my usual spot at lunch. I was late out of class. Bailey and Jax was sitting at the table. Jax looked at me worried. Bailey's head was on the table.

I quickly rushed over. Sitting down next to Bailey, I then pulled her onto my lap and hugged her.

Jax mouthed the words 'what's going on'. I shook my head. Jax could tell I didn't want to go into any detail. I'm not sure if Bailey would want me telling people.

I took a deep breathe and did the only thing I knew could make Bailey happy. I began to sing.

"Oh what the hell she said, I just can't win for losing, And she lays back down,"

Jax gave me a confused look. I kept singing though I'm not the best singer in the world.

"Man there's so many times, I don't know what I'm doing, Like I don't know now, By the light of...la la la... you know what I can't remember that verse so lets just skip to the chorus,"

Jax laughed. Bailey looked up at me and rolled her eyes. Jax then joined me in singing the chorus.

"And she says oh, I can't take no more, Her tears like diamonds on the floor, And her diamonds bring me down, Cause I can't help her now"

Mid-way through the chorus Bailey joined in too. It was perfect. My plan was working. Bailey was smiling.

"She's down in it, She tried her best but now she can't win it, Hard to see them on the ground, Her diamonds falling down"

By the end of the chorus, Bailey was happier than ever and I seemed to have made Jax smile too.

"Bailey, do you ever perform?" I asked.

Bailey shook her head.

That was it. That's what I need to do. I need to get Bailey to be able to perform.

After Cassidy died, I eventually got myself to go back to that poetry night and that's how I've been keeping myself together. No more psychosis. No more depression. No more self-hatred. If I can get Bailey to be able to perform then perhaps she'll be able to keep herself together too. No more hearing voices.