Chapter 24- Liam- A Deadly Game Of Tag

“Good morning, boys,” Simon said cheerily. He casually paced in front of the group who were all in a straight line, facing him attentively and respectfully.

They stood in the middle of an old airplane hangar almost twenty minutes from HQ and the place was absolutely massive. It was large enough to hold a few good sized plane comfortably. But the only things inside it today were One Direction, Simon, Paul, and some training equipment the two older men had brought from the training room in the sky scraper. The monstrous doors were open on either end and the warm morning light spilled in through the one side and the windows near the top of the curving building. A gentle breeze blew through and brought in fresh air.

“So,” Simon said, clapping his hands together to grab the boys' attention. The sound echoed through the metal structure. “All of you need new weapons.”

The boys made a few questioning sounds and looked around at each other to make sure they heard Simon correctly.

“New weapons?” Harry finally asked. “What's wrong with our old ones?”

Simon gave a dismissive wave. “Too brittle.” He said simply. “You need to upgrade them.”

“Wait, what?” Niall demanded. “What's wrong with my staff?”

“Niall,” Simon sighed. “We are training you boys to defend the world against danger. A glorified pipe line isn't going to stop a terrorist.”

“Yeah it is!” Niall challenged. Liam tensed. He didn't know why Niall was getting so defensive over his staff, but he knew that if his friend continued, he was going to face the wrath of Simon Cowell.

Simon pressed his lips into a line and breathed out of his nose before turning around the weapons rack that was sitting next to Paul. On the rack were two of each of the boys' weapons. Liam couldn't tell which were their old ones and which were their modified versions. The only double that wasn't there was, ironically, Niall's staff.

Simon picked up the blonde's weapon of choice and turned around again to face the boys. Niall instinctively reached out to take it, thinking Simon needed him to use it for a demonstration.

“No,” Simon said firmly, pulling it out of Niall's reach. He held it out to Liam. “Liam, give this as much force as a car running it over.”

Liam hesitated for a second before taking the staff from Simon's hands. Liam grabbed the staff with his hands on either side of the center and carefully bent it. There was a slight creak as the metal bowed under Liam's strength. Niall gasped and tried to reach out and stop Liam, but thought better of it and snatched his hand away. Liam instantly loosened his grip on it and looked up at Simon who nodded.

“Now give it the force of a bomb blowing it up.” Simon ordered. He turned to Niall. “Speaking in terms of terrorists, imagine this is what happens when you throw your staff at one and manage to detonate his weapon.” Everyone knew that wasn't something Niall would do, but they all watched Liam.

Liam himself didn't know how much strength it would take for a bomb to blow up the weapon, but he understood what Simon was trying to get at. The staff was weak. Liam tightened his grip and snapped it as easily as if it were a toothpick. Niall made a pathetic sound and reached out once more.

Liam turned to his friend and held out either end of the staff, giving Niall an apologetic look. “Sorry, mate,” Liam said sympathetically. “But this is pretty fragile.”

Niall was about ready to take the broken weapon when Simon stopped him. “No, Niall,” The man said as if he were scolding a dog. He turned to Zayn. “You're the fire of this bomb.”