03

I sip the soup Alison made. I made sure to thank her, it was the best meal I've had since I was a pup. Her and I get along nicely. She has some pretty intense stories. For instance, Jasper and her are each others second mate! I don't think I could reject my mate when I finally see him. Nature bonds the both of us instantly, we'll be inseparable. That alone just shows how strong they are.

"Jasper, time to hunt for tonight",Ethan walks into the cave. He's almost as tall as the entrance.

"Got it bud!", Jasper hops up off the floor with excitement but quickly stops as he sees Ethan's annoyed expression.

Ethan still doesn't like them. Its been nearly a month, so I'm still giving him time. But sooner or later he is going to have to accept them. I look away as the men strip and shift right outside of the cave. Once they're gone Alison turns to me.

"I'm so close to giving birth Sierra... I can just feel it. I don't know what I'm going to do. I've never given birth before",she starts ranting, but oddly its a calm rant.

"Everything is going to work out just fine. Perhaps we could go into human territory and take you to a hospital.. After all you aren't going to be in wolf form to deliver. You should be fine",I attempt to sooth her.

"How far is the closest human territory?",she asks and takes another spoon full of her soup and hums happily. I've been doing the same, its so soothing, it warms up the body immediately.

"About a week from now. If you'd like we could head out in a few days? Unless you feel its going to be sooner",I sip the warm soup and place it on the ground.

"That would be fine.. Jasper would most likely prefer that anyways"

Silence comes in after that. Its not an uncomfortable one, I could tell we were both thinking to ourselves. I couldn't help but keep thinking that she had a mate before Jasper.

"Alison? How did you reject your mate?",I hesitantly ask her.

"I didn't reject my mate. My mate died in a pack war," her voice trails off but then picks up again", I then ran away and ran into Jasper and his mate. They were rejects of another pack and had built themselves a hut by hand",she places her empty bowl down and leans against the cave wall.

"So did he reject his?",I question further.

"No, she rejected him. He was helping me cook a meal and his mate walked in.. She took it completely wrong. So she rejected him, right there in the kitchen.. She didn't even try and hear him out..",her voice fades off, clearly she was bothered by the memories. And I'm a terrible person, because I question her even more.

"How did you two become mates?"

"Well.. I was still mourning my dead mate, and he was broken from his mate's rejection. We spent a lot of time together.. It was just us two within miles. And we were lonely, so we hooked up,"She says with humor in her voice. But she gets serious again,"We ended up falling in love with each other, and I found out I was pregnant. Jasper and I have been through a lot together..",She stops talking after that and I force my questions to stay inside. This isn't the time.

"I'm sorry Alison"

"Don't be",she forces a smile. An awkward silence fills the cave and I awkwardly stare into the fire, keeping us warm from the winter weather.

Finally the guys return, about an hour later. Jasper tosses his game down and slides down next to Alison. He smiles and kisses her cheek.

"Sorry we took so long, winter time is really killing our game",Jasper apologies to both of us.