20

Ethan tosses me his shirt from the other side of the tree. I deeply regret not stripping before I shifted. My previous clothes are completely shredded. I march out from behind the tree- completely ignoring Ethan's glance. I walk into the cave and look to the tallest Vampire.

"I know what you're planning to do-", I nearly choke on my words as the Vampires eyes stare deeply into mine," and- and it won't happen"

"Well you aren't Ethan's mate.. You aren't marked..", A woman vampire looks me up and down," how did you know where to come?"

"I... I memorized Ethan's scent- it"

"I don't care how she got here! This is a sacred place!", a male vampire starts storming toward me.

"Just try me right now- I'm not in the mood!", I growl loudly. We near each other and I show my teeth, in warning for him not to get any closer.

Ethan jumps in between us," Stop the both of you. We can be civil about this"

"Civil?? Do you even know what they are here to do Ethan?", I stand behind his out stretched arm.

"This is a meeting for Alpha's and Beta's only", Marcus snaps at me as he walks up to me," you need to leave"

"I'm not going anywhere", I challenge him," and if its for Alpha's and Beta's only- what the hell are you doing here?"

"Get the hell out of here", Another woman vampire storms up to me.

"Everyone stop", the tallest vampire sends a rush of wind, knocking all of us off our feet," this can be settled in a different manner. What is your name?", he holds out a hand to help me up.

I hesitate but with one glance at Ethan, I know its ok," I'm Sierra", he pulls me easily up so I'm back on my feet. I shyly pull Ethan's shirt lower, the wind had moved it up some.

"We started off on the wrong step, please join us in the cave", he places his hand on the small of my back to lead me to inside of the cave.

"Are you sure Lucifer?", Marcus questions him, walking inside with all the others," she isn't-"

"I've already called Callista", he winks," if she isn't lying this time. She should be here shortly.. But we never know with her.."

"Oh good lord", Tim groans.

"Who is Callista?", Ethan stands behind me, I let myself completely lean against him- I just have to feel that he's there. That he's safe.

"She's one of the most powerful witches in the world... I'm brining her here so that she can trigger my wife's powers.. Lee is under a curse and with only Callista's consent can she use her powers", Lucifer explains to us.

"Also one of the rudest-", Ryan mumbles to himself but Marcus cuts him off.

"That's enough Ryan. We all know your feelings toward her", he begins to talk with the vampires some more and I zone out again. Completely focused on my back against Ethan.

"Apparently Ryan has had a huge crush on Callista since he was a kid", Ethan whispers into my ear.

"You know he's a werewolf and he can hear us whispering", I whisper back with a smile as I catch Ryan looking our way.

"Oh shut up", Ryan rolls his eyes playfully

"I'm your Alpha and I won't be spoken to in such a way", Ethan's voice deepens slightly when he says this. I spin around so I'm facing him, I wasn't expecting that response.

"Ethan?", I look to see his hands are balled in fists by his sides," Ethan.. He's playing"

Ethan doesn't say another thing, just looks forward to listen to Lucifer and Marcus speak.

---

"We wish to expand our land, we've received over 3 hundred new vampires. Our land needs more, but for there to be more we need to get rid of a pack", Lee looks at me with seriousness in her voice.

"Absolutely not", I say without hesitation. I feel Sierra's chest against my back vibrate with agreement.

"Excuse me? Its just a small pack. No more than 15 wolfs", Lucifer leans forward to the fire.

"If you wish for more land than I can meet with the pack and see if they'd like to come onto our land and be a part of Aurora Australis. If they don't then I will simply warn them of your arrival.. I cant exactly force them to do anything. Deal?", I question him, he looks to his wife then looks back to me. I know it seems harsh, but I don't want to get on these vampire's bad side.

"Deal", Lucifer grins.

"We need 10 wolves at our territory in the morning. We need them to guard our mausoleums. Demons are stalking around more than ever, so they need to have life forms with them"

"Give some examples of life forms", Tim speaks up.

"Deer's, bears, rabbits, and humans.. rabbit's is as small as you can go and bears are as large as you can go.. But beware, the smaller life form you give them, the quicker they will return for more. It won't satisfy them completely"

"Done. I'll find our strongest ones", I agree with the encourage from Marcus," if this is what has been going on for thousands of years- who am I to stop it?", I try to make myself sound believable.

"In exchange for us to protect you at night.. I also need your wolves to sneak into a hospital and deliver blood bags. We haven't been able to go to human territory for some time.. Thanks again to Callista", Lee rolls her eyes.

"I'll figure it out", I nod.

"And-"

"So here's the catch Ethan..", Lee cuts off Lucifer," for these rules to stay.. We must do a ritual of what we call 'Joining'"

"No-", Sierra jumps up but I gently push her back down.

"Explain what that means"

"Part of the ritual of having a new Alpha, is I re-join with my husband. The witches- basically Callista- will join with her mother, and you have to join with another.. Meaning your hearts, are like as if they are one", Lee brushes through her hair with her long thin fingers," its what has to happen to everyone we agree terms with"

"Then that would be Sierra", I say without having to think," but I'm still confused on what it does.. Do our hearts beat the same?"

Sierra nuzzles her nose and lays her head on my back. I could tell the current conversation bothers her, and I don't know why.

"Your hearts do beat the same actually.. That's another reason why my wife called Callista. But you feel each others emotions, your deepest emotions. When one of you is hurt, the other one is hurt as well. If one of you dies, the other one has limited time before they die too"

Maybe I shouldn't pick Sierra. I'd hate for her to feel any pain I could endure in the future. I reach blindly for her hand and bring it to my mouth. Feeling her sob against my back I consider my options. I could bind with her, and have her feel all of my pain. I have non now, but I am aware that Alphas have quite the commitment for their packs. I'm not worried about her pain, I'll endure it for the rest of my life with no issue. This also intrigues me to know how closer this will physically put us. We won't ever be able to live without each other. Or I could join with let's say Jasper, and risk him dying and I die.. At least if I lose Sierra I lose myself too.. I'd be nothing without her.

"I'll join with Sierra"

She grips the back of my shirt with her fist. I can feel her tears soak in and it brings tears to my eyes as well. I don't know what emotions she's feeling right now. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to her one on one before we join.

"Perfect! Let's meet next week with Callista. But for now we must be heading home", Lee apologies to us as she stands up," darling..", she grabs Lucifer's hand.

"Very well. We meet here in exactly a week, same time same place. Until next time.. Alpha..", the vampires quickly flee out of the cave.

Marcus puts the fire out and runs out of the cave. I was getting a bad vibe from him all night. We needed to talk.

"Think things over Alpha.. Don't feel too pressured", Tim pats my shoulder as him and the other wolves leave the cave.

----------------