We approach the small pack. Ethan still leads us with his head held high. But his heart is racing, it feels as if my chest is going to explode any second. Ryan and Tim discuss a game plan if things are to go wrong. But I don't let myself listen to them, instead I stand at Ethan's side. Waiting. Hoping he'll say anything, his silence was becoming too loud.

"We're nearing the pack Alpha", Jasper speaks up from the back of our group. Ethan's form doesn't budge, he continues in a straight line. Even though I feel his emotions- I have no idea what's going on in that head of his. Suddenly he turns to me, he must've felt my emotion of worry.

"I might have to kill the Alpha", he sighs heavily. I nearly howl in relief as he speaks to me.

"What are your thoughts about that?", I urge him to speak to me to let go of the pressure on his shoulders.

"Its either I kill the Alpha and/or he gives the pack up and I make them mine. Or they wind up being blood bags for the vampires", his shoulders  tense up beside me," the second one isn't an option for me"

"Well... Maybe if we mention our pack name, he'll surrender", I offer another option.

"Highly, unlikely", his nose tilts up to the sky as he inhales," and I won't continue to give my pack its bad name. Yes we will forever keep our name, but I don't want anyone to fear it. Not anymore"

"Can we help you?", a group of wolves stand in a line before us. The wolf speaking to me has a thick accent. They cut off my train of thought and my heart begins to race. Ethan's tail wraps around mine in comfort- in which Tim growls protectively in response.

"Yes. We would like to speak with your Alpha", Ethan stands up straight, his claws dig slightly into the dirt beneath us.

"And who do you think you are?", a wolf laughs pitifully at us," and what makes you think we'll just bring our Alpha to you? That isn't how things work here"

"So explain who you are, and what you want", the last wolf snarls as our Betas stand at Ethan and my side.

"We don't have to tell you anything, bring your Alpha to us or I'll have to go find him on my own", I growl and begin to walk forward. I ignore their warning sounds.

Ethan nips at my hip to stop me once the other wolf's and my nose are nearly touching.

"So daring are we now? I'd watch your choice of words princess", he comes impossibly closer. I inhale the harsh scent of blood basically seeping from the pores of this wolf. They must have been in the middle of hunting.

"I'd watch your choices too. Because in the state you're in. Death is looking to be an only option"

"Are you threatening me?!"

I know I have to stop Ethan and the wolf from fighting, but Ethan is an Alpha. I can't get between a Alpha and his prey. So I stand down, and take a few feet back to give them room.

"I know you're torn. But the best thing you can do is just stay put", Jasper stands at my side. My chest warms noticing Ethan chose Jasper as the Beta to watch over me. It would've been odd with Ryan or Tim.

"What is going on here?!", a loud howl nears us. The wolves cowardly hide behind trees. I can tell its their Alpha that steps forward, and I can't stop the relief that follows it. Their Alpha is in no way a danger to Ethan's height. Ethan notices this as well, he growls in satisfaction.

"I'm Ethan. I challenge you", what happened to offering a surrender? No. You can't question your Alpha. So I just bite my tongue to keep myself from saying anything.

"Challenge me? You're kidding right?"

"To the death. Do you accept?", Ethan's tail wags slightly in desperation. I know he doesn't want to do this, but I also know he wants this over and done.

"Sure. I'll accept", the opposite Alpha howls, inviting his pack to witness the fight," though I don't think it's in your favor.."

Tim steps between the Alphas. He takes a deep breath and he is getting ready to speak the magic words, the ones that begin the fight. Ethan looks over his shoulder at me, I hurry over to him and nuzzle my head against his shoulder.

"If anything happens to me. Don't interfere, ok?", Ethan speaks low. He and I both know the wolfs can hear him, but it's as if it's only the two of us.

"Please be careful Ethan..", I plea to him as he nuzzles my ear.

"I love you Sierra"

"I love you too"

I back up and take my place next to Jasper. To comfort me he flashes his teeth. I flash mine back but then my attention quickly back to Ethan. I can't let my eyes roam away from him any longer.

"Til ones heart stops", Tim finally says, as loud as he physically can shout. He then returns next to Jasper, Ryan's next to me. The Alpha snarls at Ethan. Ethan crouches, preparing to pounce him.

That's when the Alpha did the unexpected. His teeth sink into Ethan in a quick sneak attack. Ethan must've been momentarily distracted and the Alpha took that to his advantage. Ethan howls in pain but the Alpha shows no mercy. He might be smaller than Ethan, but he's quick. His teeth sink into Ethan's shoulder again- where I had previously nuzzled. The Alpha is targeting me to hurt Ethan, My wolf notifies me.

"Is that your mate over there?", The Alpha chuckles deeply as he nears Ethan again," isn't that sad. Can't even put up a fight"

"Ethan", I bark in worry when he doesn't get back up from a bite and a few more hits by the Alpha's paws.

"Say goodbye to your pathetic Mate", the Alphas mouth drips with Ethan's blood. He smirks at me with a wolf grin.

"Ethan!"

-------
😱😱