Chapter 6

George's POV:

I read the letter twice, letting it all sink into my head, the words that she had written. I count the times she wrote that she missed me, that she loved, and my name. I felt the tears fall down my cheeks and for once I don't try to forget about them or 'cheer' them away with another charm. Then I reread the part about it being a goodbye letter, and I'm reminded of her letters last summer when she was visiting the vampire clans.

I know that there aren't any more clans that need to be visited, in I got Dumbledore's word on that after last summer. But other than that, I have no idea what she could be doing for the Order. I know she's been writing to Fred more than me this summer, he must know what's going on. I hastily wipe the tears from my face as I stand up from my desk, calling out for Fred.

"FRED!" (G)

I rushed out of the room and down into the now crowded shop before I spotted him directing a few third years we knew from school to the Pygmy Puff collection. I grabbed his arm and dragged him to the storage closet, leaving Lee responsible for the shop for now. I threw the letter at Fred and watched as he grabbed it and quickly started reading it, his eyes growing large towards the end. He looks up and hands me the letter back, which I carefully fold before putting it in the pocket closest my heart and glaring at him.

"What is she doing for the Order?" (G)

"George how I should know?" (F)

"Don't give me that! I know you two have been writing! What is she doing that could get her killed?!?" (G)

"George mate, I swear I don't know. Take the day off and go ask Dumbledore." (F)

I give a blank nod before rushing out of the storeroom and outside into Diagon Alley, before apparating to Hogsmeade. I make my way as quickly as I can up to Hogwarts and outside of his office before I'm left shouting at the gargoyle to let me in. After a few minutes of shouting curses at the stubborn stone I hear his voice coming from right behind me.

"Good afternoon Mr. Weasley. I certainly didn't expect to find you here today yelling curses at my office door no less, though I can guess why you're here. Come with me." (D)

I follow him up the stairs to his office and sit in the chair in front of his desk that he offers me, as I watch him sit down. I notice that his right hand is turning black, almost as if he's been cursed and for a moment I think to ask about it. But then I remember the reason why I'm here in the first place.

"Where have you sent her?" (G)

"Tea George?" (D)

"No. Now where have you sent her!?!" (G)

"George you must understand that the decision was hers entirely, and she accepted the responsibilities and the risks that the job holds." (D)

"I don't give a damn about who made the final decision, because you're the old fool that offered it to her to begin with. Where is she?!?" (G)

I watch as he lets out a tired sigh at my outburst, and I can only imagine the trouble I'll be if mum ever finds out what I just called Dumbledore. But as I told him, right now I don't give a damn. I need to know where she is, I can't let us end with that bloody letter. I can't let her go without replying to it, without letting her know exactly how I've felt since the moment I left her side.

I watch as Dumbledore who was staring out the window with a grim look on his face finally turns back to me. He peers over me with his glasses, and for a moment I feel as if I'm back at school and in trouble. Though his answer only irritates me all the more.

"I cannot say." (D)

"Can't or won't?" (G)

"She took the job on two conditions. That no one other than the original few Order members that were here the night she accepted it be informed of her progress, and that you not be told anything of the job." (D)

"She.....she doesn't want me to know what she's doing. That only means it's more danger than I would have let her be in. I'm a foolish, stupid, git, that's what I am." (G)

I put my head down into my hands as I hear him stand and walk over to me. I can't believe that mine and Kitty's end may be in the letter that she wrote. The letter that surely broke her heart to write, because it broke my heart to read it. If I'm not the biggest git this side of England, then I'm surely in second place. I'm so sorry Kitty, wherever you are. I still miss you too.