Chapter 43

Kat's POV:

I was reading the letter and looking at the picture that Scar had sent me of my new godson. He was looking at the camera with the same grey eyes his father had, a little tuft of soft dark brown hair just like his mother. He's apparently been a quiet child so far, which Scar is thankful for. She's taken a leave from her work at the ministry, which Donovan was thankful for. He worries about Scar and the baby as much as Vik and George worry about me together.

I was upset I couldn't be there for his birth, but it happened a few days sooner than expected. It's a shame really that I missed it though, from what Scar wrote to me. Donovan was so frazzled and running all over St. Mungo's only speaking and yelling in Bulgarian until she slapped him out of it. I laugh as I picture him getting slapped by an angry, in labor Scar. I was headed to the common room to tell Ginny and the trio when I bumped into some surprising faces.

"Remus? Tonks? What are you doing here?" (K)

"Dumbledore called a few of the Order to watch over the school tonight. Bill is here as well." (t)

I feel my face pale as I realize that this is the night that Snape will carry out Dumbledore's orders. I carefully fold the note from Scar back in my pocket, I tell them that I will join them on patrol in just a moment, before I walk quickly up to the Gryffindor common room. I state the password and the Fat Lady gives a short nod, before swinging open.

The lateness of the hour ensures that the common room is essentially empty. Empty for everyone except Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville, and Luna. I tilt my head at Luna being here, but after realizing that Harry warned Hermione and Ron about Malfoy doing something tonight when Dumbledore was gone, I know Hermione must have contacted a few of the DA members.

"Kat?!?" (Her.)

"What are you doing up here?" (R)

"I could ask the same as to why y'all are still awake. And why you're staring at the Maurader's map. And why Harry seems to be missing from this little get together." (K)

I watch as they all seem to look away a bit too guilty for my liking, except of course for Luna who still has a dreamy smile on her face as she looks at us. Hermione is the brave one and decides to tell me what is going on, and by the end of her explanation I have a bigger headache than I would have thought possible. I feel my eyes close as I pinch my nose, letting out a straggled sounding sigh as I look back up at them.

"Why is it that whenever bad things are about to happen, they always seem to involve y'all?" (K)

"I've been asking myself that the same thing for six years." (R)

The smile that Ron's comment brings to my face doesn't last long as I look down at the map of the school. I know things will not go as well as we need them to go but with the map, the order, and the DA members intent on fighting with some liquid luck, maybe we have a chance for this not to end in catastrophe.

****************3 HOURS LATER***********************

I was walking down the fourth floor corridor, simply waiting until it was time, when I heard it. It was faint, and I have no doubt that I only heard it because of my enhanced hearing, but I heard it. Curses being shouted on the seventh floor. I hear footsteps rushing up the stairs, just as I start to do the same. Remus and Tonks a few flight of stairs behind me as we ran up to the seventh floor corridor.

I ran out into a dark hallway and the smell of the instant darkness powder that George and Fred sold hits me. I stand still, hearing Remus and Tonks both shout lumos as they reach the darkness but it won't work. I know because I had to work on a counter-charm for it.

"Remus, Tonks. It's me Kat. I can see, let me take your hands and guide you." (K)

I get an alright from them both as I grab their hands, and start running down the hallway. I pass Neville and Luna before coming to a stop. I spot Ron a few feet away with, and notice that while all of them have their wands raised, no one is risking firing a spell. Smart move really.

"It's instant darkness powder, everyone stay still for a moment. Lucidas hicaer." (K)

I watch as the blackness starts to fade from the hallway, spotting Ron and Neville raise their wands in the other direction. I let go of Tonks and Remus, just as all hell breaks loose. I see a flash of green light fly by my face, and I look toward the Death Eater that shot it. I see Malfoy sprint up the stairs of the astronomy tower, but I know there isn't anything I can do for that anymore.

I shove Luna out of the way of a Crucio curse and hiss in pain as I vamp out, before casting a stunning spell at the Death Eater. I watch as Remus and Tonks starts fighting with a Death Eater whose name is Amycus and his sister. I hear a yell and an animal sounding growl, and I turn just in time to see Greyback attacking Bill.

I feel my hatred towards the animal grow ever more and I rush towards him, the wand in my hand forgotten for the moment. I shove him off Bill, just as Professor McGonagall rushes in and starts firing spells at the beast. I grab a vial of my tears out of my cloak pocket and dump them down Bill's throat. Wincing as I see how the monster ripped into his face. I listen to his heartbeat and hear that though it's a bit sporadic, it's strong sounding.

I turn back around just in time to see a Death Eater raise his wand at me. He shouts out half the killing curse, but before he finishes it I watch him fall back hit from behind with a killing curse. I expected to see an Order member standing behind him with wand raised, but instead I saw Thorfinn.

I watch as he gives me the briefest nod before he starts firing spells at random. I feel hope rise in my chest as I realize that he isn't really trying to hit anyone, because his aim is truly impeccable. When he fires a curse he hits his target, unless he doesn't want too. I jump back into the fight, forgetting Thorfinn for the time being, and helping Neville and Luna fire spells at Amycus's sister. A few seconds more and a few of them rush up the stairs of the astronomy tower. I watch as Remus and Tonks attempt to follow but they're kept out.

Severus, after being fetched by Professor Flitwick, rushes past and up the stairs. I rush over and try to help Remus and Tonks break through the barrier, but I know that without dark magic, this barrier will stay up until taken down. I notice Hermione and Ginny rush up and into the fighting after a moment and I wonder where they've been, wishing they had stayed there so there would be less people I would have to worry about getting hurt tonight.

I hear a yelp of pain and look to find Neville on the floor after running towards the barrier, and Ron fighting off a Death Eater on his own. I jump into the fight and listen for the footsteps that will surely come rushing down the stairs of the astronomy tower any moment now. I feel tears start to fall as I realize that I won't talk to Dumbledore again, but I force them away as I stay in the battle. Dumbledore's final plan has been set in motion.

I watch as Draco and Severus rush back down the stairs, with him making eye contact with me briefly, giving me a short nod to tell me it was done. Firing seems to cease as they rush by, but starts up again as soon as the other Death Eaters rush by. I shoot a blasting curse towards one that I had never seen before, just as I see Harry rush past me.

"Harry! NO!" (K)

I feel a pain hit me from behind, and I feel my knees give out from under me. I blink my eyes a few times, trying to get rid of the black spots that I'm seeing, but I can't seem too. I feel the same pain in my back again, this time feeling myself fall down completely. But as my eyes close at the sudden rush of pain, I don't feel my body hit to floor, in fact I don't feel anything.