Chapter 33

Kat's POV:

I could hear him.......not all the time but every once and while I could hear George talking. Sometimes there were others present, Scar and Fred. I could have sworn that I even heard Vik talking to me one day. But.....I don't understand where I am. There are moments, brief moments, when I swear I see him watching me as I drink something, but then just as suddenly as the moment comes, it's gone again.

Everything else has just been darkness. An empty, unending, cold darkness that surrounds me. I don't like it. I didn't think death would be pleasant but I didn't expect it to be like this. I've never been frightened of the dark, if anything I'm usually at home in the dark where I can see just as clearly as the day. The darkness can be warm and inviting, just as George's arms are to me. But this darkness is empty, cold, and dead feeling.....it frightens me.

I've tried calling out to the voices when I hear them, but it doesn't seem as if they can hear me. I call out for George the most, but though I hear his voice the most he isn't able to hear me either. I'm growing weaker in the dark, and I'm scared of what's next. I don't want to go anywhere George isn't. I just want to be with him. I miss him.

"Kitty.....Kitty if you can hear me. I've been wanting to talk to you for a few days, when-" (G)

"George! I can hear you, where are you?!?" (K)

I listen to his voice as he speaks of us, starting with that night at the quidditch match. Oh if only he knew how badly I had wanted to speak with him that night. Or how nervous I was in the carriage as I introduced myself to him and Fred. I listened and willed myself to go closer to his voice as it fades in and out.

"The night that we both said that we loved each other, I could have died with happiness I could-" (G)

"I felt the same way about you, George." (K)

I love you just as much now as I did that night in the dorms George. The night of the Yule Ball was one of the best nights of my life, despite the nightmares that followed, because I ended up in your arms. I never want to wake up away from you again. I just can't get to you, I'm so tired and I'm frightened Georgie.

"I saw us getting married, having kids, then later grandkids, growing old together, and being in love with each other all our lives." (G)

I've had the same dreams about you George, my future always seemed dull and miserable without you in it. I know that I'll always be in love with you, and I'll always love you for as long as I live. I just can't find you.

"I love you and I need you. Please, please love don't leave me here. Please wake up, I need you. I love you. I miss you." (G)

I'm trying not to leave you George, in fact I never want to have to walk away from you again, but I don't know if I have a choice anymore. I don't know how to wake up. I love you too. I miss you too, more than I miss the light. I'm trying to wake up, I'm trying.

I listen as his voice stops and the sound that reaches me in the darkness is sobbing. I feel tears on my hand, and I feel his breath on my wrist. But still I can't get my eyes to open. I can't free myself from this ever-lasting darkness. I force my left hand, though it twinges in pain, to move toward his sobs. I feel my sore fingers brush into his hair as the sobs continue.

I do my best to run my hand through his hair, though I know it's shaking a lot. The sobs don't stop or even slow down, they keep going. I hear something like a quiet gasp as I keep stroking his hair, even while he sobs. The blackness that has kept me imprisoned for Merlin knows how long finally begins to soften into a grey, and then a dull white.

I feel my eyes flutter as I struggle to open them, and when I do I find myself squinting at the brightness of the sun shining through the windows. I see Mrs. Weasley and Madame Pomfrey standing a few feet away from me, as I realize that I'm on a hospital bed in the hospital wing. Why am I here, how did I get here?

I look over at my other hand, as I stop running my hand through his soft red hair. I feel my hand fall gently back onto the bed as I look at him. Listening to the sobs that are breaking my heart with each passing second. I try to speak but find that now it's my mouth that refuses to obey me, rather than my eyes. I look at Mrs. Weasley who's smiling at me with tears rolling down her round cheeks.

"George dear, look at Katherine." (Mrs. W)