Chapter 32

George's POV:

It's been about three days since Kitty's been here in the hospital wing. The trio and Ginny came to visit a few times. The Creevey brothers, Neville, and even Luna paid a visit to Kat as well. Though she hasn't been awake for anything other than taking her potions and drinking some of my blood and some of the animal blood.

Madam Pomfrey isn't sure if she's getting better or worse, or simply staying the same for now. I can only hope she's getting better or staying the same. I can't....I don't know what I would do if she got worse. I talk to her sometimes, plead with her to wake up, to come back to me. But she barely responds or even seems to recognize me when we wake her up for the blood and potions. I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn towards the person only to see Dumbledore standing behind me.

"What do you want?" (G)

"Only to say that you were right my boy. I shouldn't have offered her the job knowing that she would take it if only to protect you from harm." (D)

"They why do it to begin with?" (G)

"I had thought it would be safer than it turned out to be. I didn't imagine her cover to be blown. I was also foolish in my thinking that it would allow you two to reconnect with each other sooner than you did. I should have known she would have kept her identity a secret from you, even though she had the option to tell you." (D)

"It just goes to show how much you don't know Katherine then doesn't it?" (G)

"I'm afraid so my boy. Though you should know, that she is welcome here at Hogwarts always. If it is where she feels safest, then allow her to stay when she is better." (D)

"You act as if I have any say in what she does. She makes up her own mind in case you haven't realized. But I'm sure she will be thankful for the option of staying here." (G)

He gives me a soft and a slight smile before looking at Katherine laying on the bed. He squeezes my shoulder again before walking slowly towards the doors. I turn away from his retreating figure as I look down at Kat again. I don't care where she wants to stay as long as she'll let me stay with her. I just want her to wake up.

*************2 ½ WEEKS LATER*********************

"Well all I'm saying is that maybe sending her to St. Mungo's is worth the risk." (Mrs. W)

I was listening to mum attempting to whisper to Madam Pomfrey about moving Kat again. Won't matter what she says though, Dumbledore sided with me when I said it wasn't safe for Kitty at St. Mungo's. She's staying here, no matter the argument she presents to Madame Pomfrey.

I brushed the hair away from her face, knowing how much she hates hair in her face, before I looked at her. The bruises have mostly gone from her face, though her stomach is still a nasty green color. The cuts have begun to heal, but slower than anyone would have liked. Fred wrote a letter to Krum a week or two ago and told him what happened. He arrived a few hours after he got it.

He didn't yell, or scream, or even blame me as he probably should. Instead he just sat next to her and talked to her as if she wasn't asleep. He comes every few days now to talk to her and ask if she's improving any. The answer is almost always the same.

The shaking isn't as frequent anymore, but she's still vamped out which means that she's still having trouble healing. She's not responsive much if at all when we do wake her up, and frankly we're running out of options.

I'm interrupted by my thoughts as I hear mum leave the hospital with Madame Pomfrey right behind her. No doubt on their way to talk to Dumbledore. Good luck with that I suppose. I turn back to look at her laying on the bed, her face peaceful. Almost too peaceful, between her gasps for breath. I gently take her right hand into my own hands as I kiss it.

"Kitty.....Kitty if you can hear me. I've been wanting to talk to you for a few days, when you were awake and better. But it looks as if you won't be giving me that chance any time soon. So, I'm going to talk you now. You know the first time I saw you, that night in the box at the World Cup Match all I could think was how bloody beautiful you were. I thought you were Krum's girlfriend and you can't even imagine how happy I was when I found out that you weren't his girlfriend and that you were coming to Hogwarts for school. I thought I was the luckiest bloke alive. I don't know if you noticed but I was basically speechless for half the carriage ride up to the castle." (G)

I smile a bit as I remember how she looked that night in the carriage, nearly as soaked to the bone as Fred and I was, but so beautiful. Her blue eyes sparkling with nervousness as she introduced herseld to us in that southern accent of hers. I place my hand on her cheek and gently trace her cheek as I look at her.

"Oh, but if I only knew how much happier you would make me when you agreed to a date in Hogesmeade and then agreed to be my girlfriend. The night that we both said that we loved each other, I could have died with happiness I could, the fact that a girl like you loved a guy like me. I remember how bloody gorgeous you were that night at the Yule Ball in that dress that matched your eyes perfectly. And the gift you gave me on my birthday, the cookies remember those?" (G)

A ghost of laugh escapes my lips as I remember how flustered McGonagall was with us both that night, and the next few days as lips in our house stayed a bright and random assortment of colors. The best gift she gave me though was something she gave me every day. She gave me her heart, and I was such an idiot to not value it as I should have last year.

"I know last year wasn't our best year together. But you should know that I still loved you just as much. I just had such big dreams of the future with Fred and I thought that I could force them to become your dreams as well. I should have known by then that I haven't be able to force to do anything that you didn't want. You should know though, when you said yes to marrying me even though it was probably the worst proposal ever attempted, I saw our whole lives planned out. I saw us getting married, having kids, then later grandkids, growing old together, and being in love with each other all our lives. I never meant to lose that future with you, and all because I was being a stupid git." (G)

I look at her as her calm face reminds me again that she isn't awake, and that she probably can't hear me. My eyes find their way over to the side table, overflowing with cards from all our old school friends that keep visiting when they can. I see Luna's at the front with a giant blood heart drawn on it, with a lion on the inside of the heart.

"You know Kitty, it's only another week or so until Valentine's Day. You've missed all of January I'm afraid. But that's alright really, just so long as you let me make it up to you in a few more days. I.....well I had a surprise dinner planned for us and everything. Don't worry, I wasn't going to propose again, not yet anyway. I just......I just wanted to be able to spend the day with you and make sure you knew how loved you are. I even checked the calendar it isn't a full moon for another five days after. So you have to wake up soon. You have to." (G)

I feel tears start to fall down my face as I hold her hand a bit tighter in mine. I put my head down on our hands as the tears start to fall. Wishing that she would open her eyes for me, that she would wake up for me. If only I could tell her, if only she could hear me.

"Oh Katherine, I know I've said stupid things in the past and I've been a right foul git. But please love, please. Wake up for me, come back to me, let me show you how much you mean to me. Please. I......I can't stand the idea of living without you or even living in a world where you aren't. I will follow you so you can do whatever job you want, just please don't go somewhere I can't follow. I love you Katherine and no matter what may have happened the last year or so, no matter what I've said, I love you. I love you and I need you. Please, please love don't leave me here. Please wake up, I need you. I love you. I miss you." (G)

I feel the tears falling from my eyes turn into sobs as footsteps walk through the door of the hospital wing. I hear them walk closer but I don't try to hide my sobs as I hold onto Kitty's hand. I feel someone run a hand through my hair but I don't stop my sobs, knowing that it's mum trying to comfort me in any way that she can.