Chapter 20

Kat's POV:

I kiss him one last time before pulling myself away, otherwise I would stay all night I have no doubt about that. I step into the green flames of the fireplace as we smile a sad and happy smile at each other, before I floo home for my job with the Order.

I arrive in my living room and I walk to the hall mirror before casting the charms and spells on myself and changing outfits. I grab a dark hooded cloak and apparate to Knockturn Alley, right outside the Death Pub. I go to walk in but I'm suddenly stopped by two men, one of which I know is a Death Eater.

"Private party, invite only. Name." (D.E)

"Verity Charm." (K)

"Ah, yes Miss Charm. Rowle was right when he said you'd probably come tonight. Right this way." (D.E)

I feel my heart constrict some as I remind myself that it's all part of the job. The man leads me into Death Pub, which actually looks the most lively I've ever seen it look. Suppose it has something to do with the fact that even villains enjoy Christmas. I'm led over to where Thorfinn and a few other Death Eaters are talking and laughing with each other, toasting with Firewhiskey.

"Ah! There you are Verity! I was hoping you would come for a bit." (T)

"Of course! I wouldn't miss seeing you all when I've got a spare chance." (K)

"How's your family? Good I hope." (T)

"The best, sleeping peacefully right now I hope." (K)

"Well let's get you a drink and enjoy the party shall we?" (T)

I nod and force a smile onto my face as he gets another firewhiskey from the bar. I toast with him, the forced smile still on my lips as we go back to his friends. I hear them laughing at an evil sounding joke just as we walk up to them.

"Eh Rowle, weren't you there when the Dark Lord did in that old Bones woman?" (D.E)

"Shut up you! Not in front of her!" (D.E #2)

"Verity's alright boys. Yes, I was there the night he dealt with her. Why?" (T)

"We heard that she screamed bloody murder, begging for mercy. Is it true?" (D.E)

"I suppose she screamed as much as anyone else." (T)

I force another laugh and a smile with them all as my stomach turns to knots. I guess we can confirm the rumors that she was killed by Voldemort. They aren't rumors anymore, they're true. I see Thorfinn look at me at the corner of his eye and motion towards the door. I nod in agreement and he excuses us before he takes my hand, and we walk out of the Death Pub together.

"Sorry about that luv. The boys don't know how not to mix business with pleasure." (T)

"They aren't the same thing to you?" (K)

"Hardly. Being with you, that's pleasure. My work with the Dark Lord, that's just business." (T)

"I'm glad." (K)

I feel him lace his fingers with my own and I focus on the snow that is beginning to fall onto the sidewalk. I realize after a few minutes that we're no longer on Knockturn Alley, but out and about in Muggle London.

"What are we doing out here anyway?" (K)

"Well, muggles may be inferior to us, but they are adamant about decorating nearly everything in sight for the holidays. I thought we'd walk around and look at the lights." (T)

"Alright then." (K)

We fall into a peaceful silence with one another, but I'm already writing up my report for Dumbledore in my head as we walk. The news about Ms. Bones being killed by Voldemort directly is interesting indeed because it means he himself is becoming more active in the battle itself. He's relying on more than just his followers to help him now.

"Verity?" (T)

"Hmmm?" (K)

"How well do you know your employers?" (T)

"The Mr. Weasleys? Well enough I suppose. Why do you ask?" (K)

"I think the Dark Lord is hoping that a few of the Weasley's will join us. They are a prominent, even if less than desirable, pure-blood family. Their lineage is pure even if their beliefs are inferior to ours. Do you think that they could be persuaded?" (T)

"I don't know if I want to answer." (K)

"Why luv?" (T)

"I consider my bosses my friends on a good day, and I know how the Dark Lord reacts to those who decline his invitation to join him." (K)

"Ah I see. I promise I will not tell him your answer, though there is no guarantee that I will be able to keep him from knowing. He is a very powerful wizard." (T)

I nod in silent agreement with him. I may hate Voldemort, I may fear him, and I may wish for his doom. But even I cannot deny that he is in fact a very powerful wizard. I feel Thorfinn tense for a moment before he rolls up his left sleeve to reveal his Dark Mark moving. I watch as he sighs a bit before looking at me.

"Well luv, business calls I suppose. Come back to the New Year's Eve Party though if you can. Or if not that day the next, for we're having another party at Death's Pub. I'll make sure your name is on the list."

Before I can say anything or even try to stop him he leans forward and kisses me with such a fierceness it scares me. I watch as he lets go after a few moments before rushing to his master's side. In a different world, one without George and Voldemort, Thorfinn and I might have made a good couple. But right now the taste of his lips that lingers on mine, causes me to vomit into the bush that was right behind me.

I hear people laughing and walking towards me so I quickly apparate back to my house, before rushing upstairs to the bathroom sink. I brush my lips and my teeth several times as Verity before I brush them again as myself. I even brush my fangs for an added measure, and I don't stop until the only taste in my mouth is spearmint. I spit into the sink one more time before pulling my hair up into a pony tail, throwing on my Weasley sweater with the lion on front before going down the stairs.

I walk to my desk and write up a short report to give to Dumbledore tonight. He did say he wanted to see me as soon as I learned something new, and this is both new and important news. I spot my gift for George laying on the table, and I decide to grab it before I leave, putting it in my pocket for safekeeping. I fold my report in half before stepping into the fireplace and flooing to his office. I wonder if I should say Merry Christmas as I give him the bad news.