Chapter 37

Kat's POV:

I watched as the candles were lit by Madame Pomfrey instead of George. I looked around the darkened room, wondering where he was, snapping my attention back to the sounds of Madam Pomfrey's footsteps leaving the room. I start to feel the dark closing in on me, so I focus on the light coming from the three flames as they dance in front of me. I pull my legs up closer to my chest as I watch the flames. I feel my eyes start to drop close against my will, as my energy is drained from the events of the day. I only wish George was here to keep watch while I slept.

George's POV:

I pull my head out of the pensieve and feel tears running down my face as I think through all the memories she gave to me. I see her face swirling in the pensieve, beaten black and blue but still managing to glare at Bellatrix with hatred. My heart starts to break as I realize that I've never seen such pain and grief as I was just shown in the memories. Never could I have imagined that as what she went through, but now that I've seen it I understand.

I know now why she's afraid of the dark, as she was trapped in the dark in her own mind for nearly four weeks. I know now why she flinches away from my touch, not because she is afraid of me but because her body's programmed her mind to feel pain from someone's touch. I feel my legs carrying me back to the hospital wing, as I rush out of the room of requirement, back to her side.

I walk in and see three candles lit on the nightstand table, with Kitty curled up in a ball on her side with her arms wrapped around herself, facing the candles. Without thinking it through, I walk over and sit down next to her. Before my mind can stop my hands, I pull her gently into my lap, only to have her wake up and vamp out.

She doesn't yell out, but she hisses and struggles to get out of my arms. She doesn't scratch me or try to bite me, and I know it's because when she did with the Death Eaters it only earned her another punishments. I hold onto her firmly, attempting to whisper to her but I end up yelling at her, all while I try to get her to see that it's only me.

"Kitty! Katherine! It's me! It's George!" (G)

She freezes in my arms and slowly turns her head to look at me. I listen to her breathing slow some as she looks into my eyes, and I watch as her eyes turn back to the blue that I love so much, and tears start to build in them as she un-vamps. I reach my hand up to her face and she flinches backwards with the tears still growing in her eyes as she stares at me.

She looks down at my arms holding her arms and seems to tense as she stares at me, it's then that I see the lingering fear in her eyes. I let go of her just as her breathing starts to speed up again and she struggles out of my arms and stands up from the bed. She looks at me before taking a shaking step to the window and turning away from me.

I watch her as she looks at her reflection in the darkened window, Hogwarts in complete darkness thanks to a moonless sky and a cloudy night. She turns back towards me, wrapping her arms around herself as the tears start to fall. I stand up and walk toward her, only to have her to take a step back from me. Though I can't get upset over it anymore, because now I know why she does it.

"I-I.....s-sor-sorry, I-" (K)

I watch with a pain in my heart as she struggles to find the words that she wants to tell me, only to be stopped short by her slow recovery. I see the frustration and the anger grow in her eyes as she looks at me again.

"I-I....ca-ca-......aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." (K)

I watch as she screams in anger and then throws a glass, that was sitting on the table next to her, at the opposite wall before she crumples to the floor and starts to sob. Madam Pomfrey runs out of her room, dressed in her night robe but I keep her from coming any closer to either of us. This is something that I need to help her with, not Madame Pomfrey. I step towards her sobbing on the ground and kneel down a few feet away from her.

"Kitty.....look at me please." (G)

I watch as she slowly lifts her head from the ground, her tears still falling onto the ground. I get an idea that might make her think of happier times, even if she was crying then too. I summon a vial and start collecting her tears, making her look at me as I do.

"Your tears are more valuable than mine are love. Remember how useful they've been in the past?" (G)

She doesn't say anything as I keep collecting the tears but her tears do seem to lessen as I look at her. She stops after a minute or two and I find myself smiling at her. I sit in front of her on the floor waiting to see what she will do next.

"I....I.....c-can-can't..." (K)

I see the frustration and angry tears grow in her eyes again but I stop her by raising my hands in surrender. She looks at me in confusion and tilts her head in a way that I find adorable every time she does it. I feel a slight smile grow on my face as I stare at her and start speaking as softly and gently as I can.

"Kitty, I understand. Snape gave me the memories. I know it's not your fault, and you have nothing to apologize. It's that bitch that will have to apologize before I kill her for what happened to you. It may take a while for you to recover, but you're stronger than you realize and I know you can do it." (G)

I see disbelief in her eyes but as she stares into my own I see that she believes me after a while. She scoots closer to me on the floor and with shaking hands throws herself into my chest, wrapping her hands around my neck. I slowly wrap my arms around her, wincing some as she flinches, thankful she can't see my expression as I do. I mean what I said, I'll be as patient and wait for as long as she needs me to. But when or if I do see Bellatrix I will make it my mission to destroy her.