Chapter 12

Kat's POV:

It's been a few days since I've started my mission. I work with the twins three days a week, and the other four days are spent down Knockturn Alley. I've learned that half the shops have deals with Death Eaters, like discounts or free-stuff. I've also caught sight and scent of Greyback wandering the streets a little too closely to Diagon Alley for my liking. I wanted to take him out the first day, but I was told only to engage in combat when necessary.

I saw Bellatrix the other day as well, in the seedy bar that is hidden away in Knockturn. I had my hood up, as most patrons did, but she was standing there without any covering at all laughing as she tortured another Death Eater who hadn't returned to Voldemort's side yet. A few minutes later she and a few others were shown into a different room behind a moving panel. No doubt the Death Eaters have their own room there. The pub itself is called Death Pub, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

I know that they're planning something, and they have some type of deal with Borgin and Burkes to help with the plan. I also know that the Malfoy's and LeStrange's are involved, along with that vile excuse of an existence Greyback. I've even heard rumors that the remaining Death Eaters that are currently at Azkaban won't be there this time next year. I have not doubt that Voldemort will break them out, no doubt with the added help of the dementors. I just haven't been able to find out more than that.

I've been working on getting closer to the inside, I've even earned the trust of a younger Death Eater that wants me to go out with him, but I was earlier warned by Snape that the closer inside you get the harder it becomes to separate the two sides and which you really belong to. There are times that I worry I'll forget my true side, but I always have Fred to pull me back, along with Scar.

Something I did notice pretty quickly was that if you didn't have a tattoo in Knockturn you were under careful watch. I had Fred help me with that little problem one night. I now have a small star that changes colors when he presses a coin or when I press it with my hand. Almost like the dark marks, or a muggle phone. I wasn't too keen on getting the tattoo, but if it was that or be unable to learn stuff I chose to get the tattoo.

Today was one of my days in the shop and I was feeling a bit drained thanks to the full moon tonight, but it couldn't be helped. I spotted a group of red-hair walking through the doors though and I knew immediately that the rest of the Weasley gang, Hermione, and Harry were all here today to do their shopping.

I watched as Fred and George took Harry in the back to show him their latest shield item no doubt, while I helped a customer find a joke cauldron. Joke's on me though I suppose because I can't find them anywhere. I excuse myself for a moment and walk into the back to get one of the twin's to help.

"There's a customer out here looking for a joke cauldron, Mr. Weasley and Mr. Weasley." (K)

"Right you are, Verity, I'm coming. Harry, help yourself to anything you want, all right? No charge." (G)

I sense George follow me out and I stumble a bit on my feet as exhaustion hits me again. Before I have the chance to hit the ground though he catches me gently by the elbow and helps me stand up. I give him a quick grin and a thanks as he looks at me, almost as if he's seen a ghost and I can't help but be reminded of the first time I stumbled in front of him in the Gryffindor common room.

"All right there Verity?" (G)

"Of course, just a bit distracted and a little tired is all." (K)

"Well if you want to take a half-day today you can." (G)

"Really?"(K)

"Course, your one of our best workers but not if you're tired and clearly you are. Besides, we should be fine with Matt working here today." (G)

"Thanks, so I'll see you Monday then." (K)

I waved goodbye before changing out of my work robes and into my street clothes or my spy clothes. I walk outside and turn towards Knockturn Alley, just in time to catch the trio's scent ahead of me. I listen closely from under my cloak and I realize that they must be under Harry's cloak that George used that time. What are they up to now?

I force myself to remain calm as I walk down Knockturn Alley, their scent still walking ahead of me, and then I catch a few familiar scents. Draco Malfoy for one and another older witch who's a bit crazy a few feet ahead of me. I watch as Malfoy goes into Borgin and Burkes, while the trio stop in front of the window. I go to enter the store as a customer but I'm stopped by Agatha, the crazy old witch, just across from the store.

"Eh, Ver! What you up to this early a day? Too early to be gettin a drink at Death's ain't it? Meetin a man perhaps?" (A)

"Bit bored I suppose. Got off work early." (K)

"Eh work. I can't stand my place of employment. You know jus the othe day-" (A)

I keep my head facing Agatha, but my eyes and ears are trained on Borgin and Burkes. I hear Ron drop several boxes from the sound of it as he pulls out a pair of Extendable Ears, and it's all I can do to yell at them to be quiet. Agatha is still talking and I know she will keep talking until I stop her. She talks to the wall she leans on when there isn't anyone to talk to.

I listen to the instructions Malfoy gives and the threat he makes with Greyback only infuriates me. However, it seems to confirm my initial suspicion that he's been given a dark mark. Poor, poor, stupid boy. I watch as he leaves the store, slamming the door on the way out. A few moments later Hermione appears and walks into the shop before I can stop her. I almost slap my forehead out of frustration as she does. She is literally making this the hardest day of spying in my life.

I listen as they leave, after Hermione is kicked out of the shop by Borgin, and I excuse myself from Agatha. Agatha being the bat-crazy lady she is yells goodbye to me and then proceeds to continue her story to absolutely no one. I follow them all the way back to the store and inside, watching as they take off the cloak before I step towards them.

I gently grab Harry's elbow as they make a move to go outside, but I need to speak with them first about how foolish and dangerous their actions were just now. I watch as the trio tense at my hand on Harry's arm and I'm honestly astounded that now they look worried, not when they were down Knockturn Alley surrounded by the enemy but now.

"I need a word with you three right now. Upstairs in Fred and George's loft, or I swear I will tell Mrs. Weasley about your little adventure." (K)