Chapter Thirty - The Hardest First Step

Hi, everybody! I'm so sorry for the major late update. Uni got in the way, and I was having so much writer's block whenever I opened the chapter, you have no idea.

Anyhow, I've uploaded so please enjoy it and remember to vote/comment :D

This chapter is dedicated to @ANasher0 for helping me with ideas for this chapter. You wonderful human being :)

Warning: This chapter contains triggers. Read at your own risk.

- Akai's P.O.V -

Betrayal was never the thing I thought I ever had the displeasure of meeting. Even as I thought back to my first night out of the hospital, where I was very much scared of it, my fear of it diminished as the days passed.

I know my six months here haven't been the best but at least I had a roof over my head and security. Now, I might as well chuck that security out of the nearest window. Whether it's open or not.

I smack my lips together, the taste of bile still as intense as ever. My figure is slouched on the ground, my eyes focusing on nothing. Absolutely nothing. Because all I could think of was that Kakashi had betrayed me.

My guardian and sensei had betrayed me.

The taste of bile grew and my hand curves around my neck as if it'll get rid of the foul taste.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I register Mezasu's hand is still on my shoulder, squeezing occasionally. Whether the gesture was made out of comfort or trying to get me to crash back into reality, I'm not sure.

Because I don't want to come crashing back to reality. I wish my reality was different or simply didn't exist.

"Kira," Mezasu speaks after the longest time and I slowly move my eyes to his concerned ones. "Kira...say something."

"Please go." I say because truthfully? I couldn't deal with anyone right now. I don't think I have the mental energy to do so. Because it seemed that this betrayal has not just affected me emotionally.

I need to process it and I couldn't do that with people surrounding me.

"Please..." I mutter when Mezasu doesn't move, closing my eyes and covering them. "Just...leave me alone..."

A lingering silence before I sense Mezasu nods. He gives my shoulder one last squeeze before getting to his feet.

"Just so you know, Kira. You can always come to us," I sense him glance over his shoulder. "We'll always be watching you."

He disappears the second the words leave his lips, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

What was I supposed to do now? What was I supposed to do with the knowledge that my guardian had willingly sold me out? There isn't a fúcking manual that I can reference to when it comes to dealing with this type of shít.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

And because there isn't anything I can turn to, it just makes me feel all the more lost. I can't even cry, or scream my pain and anguish to the sky. All I can do is sit dejectedly on this rough ground, growing more and more numb by the second.

Almost robotically, I stand to my feet, head still lowered, and walk back to civilisation. What can I do? How do I go on from this?

All too soon, I'm standing outside the apartment, retrieving the key from my pocket and sliding it into the lock.

The house is empty, which I'm thankful for and I immediately make my way to my room. Gathering a bag, I pack a couple days of underwear and my pyjamas, throwing my guns and scrolls in there before zipping it up.