Chapter One

Tessa

I was very excited when my brother, Nate, announced we would be moving. Maybe it would be a clean slate for me. A bigger house, a new room.
Maybe Nate would change.
I was wrong.
Our house was bigger, yes, but my bedroom was smaller. And Nate still beat me.
I have learned not to open my mouth at the wrong time or go against anything he says. It would mean adding to my collection of scars. He cuts me if anything he doesn't like goes down.
My brother wasn't always like this.
It started when we lost our parents in a car wreck. We were driving to a meet and greet with one of my favorite authors when we ran over a patch of ice and slid into a ditch.
Nate and I survived. Our parents did not.
He blamed it on me. He told me that I was the one who had wanted to go. He told me if I wasn't so dependent on my novels, I wouldn't have wanted to meet this author.
Then Nate started drinking.
He would come home drunk and he would see me, get mad, and cut my arms with a knife. This happened repeatedly. He met some friends and they introduced him to cigarettes.
Nate doesn't remember the girl who used to be his sister. He only sees the girl he beats when he's drunk and high.
The girl who was responsible for our parents death.
I slid on jeans and a gray sweater to hide my scars. Then I ran my hands through my hair, trying to make it look good without a mirror. I put on my shoes and left the house hungry, careful to avoid Nate.
At least he was letting me go to public school. I don't know how he could afford it, since most of our money went towards gambling. I went to a school before we moved, so I guess it would make sense for him to send me to one at our new home.
I walked towards the school. It was the beginning of second semester, so all the kids would already know each other. Nervously, I entered the school.
My next mission was to find the office. I walked along the hallways, lost. There was still so much of the school left to search. I was turning around to go back towards the doors and start down a different hallway, when a voice spoke behind me.
"Are you new here?"
I turned. He was British. I could tell by his voice. He had black hair and blue eyes that shone brighter than the stars. He smiled and the room lit up. He was taller than me, but not by much.
Let's just say he was very handsome.
"Yes," I said.
He stuck out a hand. I took it. It was the hand of a pianist. "I'm Will Herondale," He said. "Tessa Gray," I said.
"It's nice to meet you, Tessa. Are you looking for the office?" He asked. I nodded. "Follow me," He said. He walked up the hallway. I did what he asked.
We reached the office. "Just in there," He told me. "Thank you," I replied. "No problem," Will said. Then, with one last smile, he turned and walked off.