Chapter Ten

Tessa

Jessamine pulled me upstairs and into her bedroom. The walls were painted pink and there was a canopy bed with a nightstand on either side. Clothing and makeup covered the floor. A big, wooden wardrobe was pushed against one wall. There was also a television on the wall.  "I'll be right back," Jessamine said. "You won't fit into any of my clothes, so you can borrow some from Cecily."
She left the room and I heard a door open. I could hear the television loud and clear.
"JESSAMINE, GET OUT! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M BUSY?!" Cecily screamed. "WELL, I'M SOCIALIZING WITH TESSA AND HELPING HER GET READY INSTEAD OF BEING LAZY, LIKE YOU!" Jessamine shot back.
"LEAVE! NOW!"
"LET ME BORROW SOME OF YOUR CLOTHES FIRST!"
"NO!"
There was a crash.
"MOM!" Jessamine screamed. "CECILY THREW A SLUSHEE AT ME! SHE RUINED MY NEW SHIRT! THIS COST FIFTY DOLLARS!"
"Charlotte isn't even home yet," I heard Will say. "Now, if you both will shut your mouths, Tessa can find something nice to borrow from you, Cecily. And let her choose, Jessamine. She's fully capable of it." I heard the girls sigh. Jessamine came back into her bedroom. "Go have a look at Cecily's closet. Will insisted that you choose what you wear," She pouted, leaning against the doorframe. "Are you sure?" I asked. "I can just wear this."
I've never heard somebody say no as fast as Jessamine did right then.
"You must think very low of me if you believe I'll let you go out in that," She said, frowning at my white shirt and gray jacket paired with some basic black leggings. "It looks plain. Come." She grabbed my hand and pulled me into Cecily's room.
There wasn't a bed in Will's sister's room, but two big, long, fluffy couches piled with pillows and fuzzy blankets. Trash littered the floor as well as the couch. There was a television mounted on the wall that was playing a movie in which a blonde girl was zip lining. Cecily was laying on her stomach on one of the couches drinking something from a foam cup. Jessamine dragged me towards a wardrobe in the corner of the room and threw open the doors. "Let's find you something to wear," She said. "Didn't Will say she could decide for herself?" Cecily asked from her spot on the couch. "Screw Will," Jessamine replied. "Now-"
"Shh!" Cecily hissed. "This is a good part!" "What are you watching?" I asked.
"Divergent."
"Have you read the book?"
"Nope."
I was appalled. How could one watch the movie without reading the books?
Jessamine tapped me on the shoulder. She held a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, a black tank top, and black boots. She thrust them into my hands and guided me out of the room. She pushed me into a bathroom. "Change," She demanded, and left.
So, I did.
The clothes fit well, except for the fact that the jeans were a bit loose around my hips. The boots were fine, too. I came out of the bathroom and Jessamine immediately started gushing over how I looked. "Let's do your hair!" She cried. She pulled me into her room and began to brushing out my hair. Then, she put it in a partial ponytail. She began on makeup next. She told me what each item was, but I eventually got mixed up in all of the excitement of concealer, eyeliner, blush, brow powder, and more. I'd never worn makeup before then. Nate never allowed it in the house. He said he didn't want the boys all over me, and it'd be better if I stayed ugly. Eventually, we were finished. Somebody knocked on the door. Jessamine opened it. There stood Will, dressed in jeans and a black shirt that said SURVIVOR on it. He smiled. I walked over. "Hey," I said.
His eyes traveled my body, taking in my outfit and my hair. "Hi." He leaned closer to me. "Tess, are you wearing makeup?" I nodded. "Well, bye." Jessamine said, ushering me out of her room. "Go on. I have things to do."
Will and I headed downstairs. Mrs. Branwell was fixing dinner in the kitchen. When she saw me, she headed over. "Hello, Tessa," she said, smiling warmly. "You can call me Charlotte from now on, okay? Or mom, I guess, since-" Will interrupted her. "She isn't a part of the family. She's not a sister, no, defiantly not. She's just staying with us," He said. "Why can't she be a part of the family, William?" Charlotte asked. Will looked at her like she was an idiot. "Because I think Tessa's my soul mate. And if she's my soul mate, I shall marry her, correct? And if she's my sister, I can't marry her, can I?" He explained. "Will, you just met her today," Charlotte said. "And? What's your point? I believe in love at first sight," Will said. He leaned down and kissed my cheek. "Come now, Tess. It's time for our double date."