Chapter Thirteen

If you all would like to hear my thoughts on 200 reads, head over to my conversation board!

Tessa

I opened my eyes drowsily. My head immediately started pounding. Then came the cliché where am I? moment.
I was in Nate's car, sitting in the backseat. He was driving, probably drunk. I sat up and heard a chain rattle. I was chained to my seat.
I was being held hostage in my own car.
It shouldn't have been a surprise, yet it was. It was like the first time he had locked me in my room.
It was like I was being held captive in a place that was my own.
A place that should've been my own.
Nate glanced back at me. "Ahhhhh, your awake," He slurred.
Yep. Definitely drunk.
"Where's Will? And Jace? And Clary? What did you do with them? What happened to the police?" I asked. "We're not playing rapid fire questions, you thing," Nate snapped. "Shut your mouth."
Then I noticed the blood on his hands.
I lost the ability to breathe. "You killed them?!"
Nate laughed. "Yes, girl. They're dead. I shot them all."
I began to cry. "No! You're lying again! You always lie! You didn't kill them! They're not dead!" I screamed. "Why would I lie, girl?" He asked. "If you don't shut up, I'll shoot you, too. Don't know why I even bother to keep you around, anyways."
"Why are we leaving?" I asked.
"We can't let them know. They're after me, girl. They know how I treat you. I can't go to jail." I heard sirens wailing behind us. Nate cussed. I turned to look out the rear window. Three police cars were tailing us. My brother sped up.
I searched the car frantically for something I could cut the chain with. All of the sudden, I got an idea. I grabbed a toothpick off the floor and quietly used it to pick the lock.
Nate saw me.
I never thought I would see panic in his eyes, but at that moment, he look terrified. I shuffled towards the door.
"Tessa. Don't," He warned, his eyes wide. "You'll get me in trouble. I'll go to jail."
I glared back at Nate. He called me Tessa. He never calls me Tessa.
"You have no right to call me that," I said. Then, I opened the door, and I jumped.
I landed in the grass, thank goodness, but I ended up with my right leg bent at a weird angle. It was extremely painful. I tried to stand, but when I put weight on my right leg, I crumbled. It was probably broken.
Two police cars sped after Nate. It was raining, and the wind was harsh, so the door I had opened was torn off it's hinges. It flew threw the air and landed with a crash in a ditch near me. Beer bottles and cigarettes began falling out of Nate's car and rolling down the street. The remaining police car parked next to me. A man got out of the passenger seat. He walked over and kneeled next to me. "You're Theresa Gray?" He asked. He had an Australian accent. I nodded. "Are you alright? Can you stand?" He asked. "I don't think so," I replied. "I'm Officer Cruise," He said. "I'm going to lift you into the back of the police car." He picked me up and set me gently in the back of the car. Then, Cruise climbed into the passenger seat. "You've phoned an ambulance to meet us back at The Painted Horse, right?" He asked the driver. "Yeah," She replied, stepping on the gas. Cruise turned towards me. "Theresa, could I ask you a few questions?" He asked. I nodded. "Why were you at The Painted Horse tonight?"
"I was on a double date."
"With?"
"Will Herondale, Clary Fray, and Jace Herondale."
"Did you know Nathaniel was going to be there?"
"No."
"Who got in a fight with your brother?"
"It was Will, but don't punish him. He was defending me against Nate, who was hitting me and acting possessive."
Cruise nodded.
"Does Nate beat you often?"
I nodded, gesturing to the scars on my arms. I'm not sure why I didn't think to ask Jessamine for a jacket before I left. Well, it doesn't matter now.
"Why?"
"Well, my parents died in a car wreck on the way to an event I wanted to go to. Nate blames me."
"What kind of event?"
"A book signing."
"Is Nate on any drugs?"
"Yes. He smokes tobacco."
"Is he an alcoholic?"
"Yes."
We pulled up to The Painted Horse. There were four more police cars parked outside and two ambulance. I could see Clary's unmistakable red hair even from a distance.
The driver parked the car and she climbed out. Cruise climbed out as well, and called a doctor over to bring me to an ambulance so I could be taken to a hospital. Will saw me and started running towards me.
"Tessa!"
"Will!"
But they wouldn't let him through. Officers and doctors surrounded me. I saw nothing but flashing lights. All I heard were sirens wailing and I wanted none of it, I wanted nothing to do with it. I just wanted to see Will. I wanted to talk to him. I wanted him to make me laugh. I wanted him to be my ray of sunshine in the darkness.
The doctors carried me to an ambulance and loaded me inside. Will clambered to join me. An officer stopped him.
"Are you a part of her family?" He asked
"No, but I love her," Will replied.
He said it without hesitation.
"Let him on," I said. The officer let him past,
and Will ran over to me. He sat down next to me. I sat up. The next thing I knew, he was kissing me.
His lips were soft, and he tasted like peppermint. His hands cupped my face, and I secured mine around his waist, and pulled myself closer to him. As his hands moved down my body and settled on my waist, I drew a sharp breath in, and moved my hands so they were locked around his neck. I could feel him smiling slightly against my lips.
Will smelled like the pine needle candle that burned in his bedroom. I liked that he had a pine needle scented candle in his room. That way, it always smelt like Christmas. There were a lot of things I liked about Will. I liked the color of his eyes, the way he laughed often, the way his smile lit up an entire room, the sound of his British accent, his lips. I really did like how soft and warm his lips were...
Somebody cleared their throat. Will and I broke our kiss. It was a nurse. "Excuse me," she said, biting back a smile. "but we need to check Miss Gray out. See if she has any broken bones." Will nodded, but before moving away from me, he leaned down and whispered in my ear;
"I was so, so worried about you, Tess. I thought you were dead, or that he had done something to you. You will be the death of me, Theresa Gray. You will."