Chapter Twenty One

Tessa

I had never been to a party before. Nate never let me go.
Jessamine parked and hopped out. Cecily jumped out next, then Will, and finally, me.
Will had told me that not a lot of people knew they were adopted, so they told people that they carpooled a lot to save the environment.
Seems like something Will would do.
We entered the Lightwood house.
Camille walked over and pulled Jessamine away, whispering "I brought it."
Cecily rolled her eyes. "Camille probably brought beer again. We're not supposed to be drinking, but a lot of us do it anyway. I don't usually, but I might have a bit tonight," she said. She walked off before Will could protest. All of the sudden, someone rushed up to me and crushed me in a hug.
"Where were you today? What happened?" Sophie asked, glancing at my cast. "I saw the news and recognized the last name. He was your brother, wasn't he? I'm so sorry."
"Don't be," I replied. "He abused me, physically and emotionally."
Sophie hugged me again.
"It's good to see you," I told her. "A lot has gone on. I've missed you."
"I've missed you, too. You'll have to fill me in. You know, I don't really go to a lot of parties, but Gideon told me I should come tonight, so, I came. I also knew you and Will were close, so I thought maybe I'd see you here," She said.
"I'm going to find Cecily," Will told me. "Make sure she doesn't do anything stupid."
I smiled at him, and he returned it. Then, he walked off.
"Want something to drink?" Sophie asked me. "Not beer," I replied. "Of course not! A lot of people are all for the alcohol, but I'm not. You can do dumb things when you're drunk. Isabelle's experienced it first hand. She used to drink at parties, but one night she almost crashed her car on the way home from a party at Jace's. Alec wasn't there to drive her home. She got her phone taken away and had a curfew of 10:00 for three months. Also, now Alec has to go to every party with her to make sure it doesn't happen again," Sophie said.
"How do you know all this?"
"Don't tell Jessamine Lovelace things. She'll tell everyone. They used to be pretty good friends, but they've been arguing a lot lately. Jessamine's not very nice."
I didn't say anything.
"Anyway, want punch?" Sophie asked.
"Sure."
We walked to the refreshments table, where Gideon Lightwood stood, frowning at a plate of scones.
When he saw Sophie, his face lit up.
"Hello, Sophie. How are you tonight?" He asked. "I'm good, thank you, Gideon. How are you?" Sophie replied.
"I'm fine."
"If you don't mind me asking, what do you have against those scones?"
"I don't like scones much."
"Interesting. Is there a reason why you ordered a few scones yesterday at the café? Were they for a friend? Or were you just trying to make me work more?" Sophie questioned.
Gideon turned bright red. "Sophie, it- it's not like that," He stuttered.
Sophie handed me a glass of punch. "Let's go, Tessa," she said.
We walked off.
"Do you work at a café?" I asked as we sat down on the couch. Sophie gave me a small smile. "Part time, yes. My family isn't the wealthiest," she replied. I nodded. "I think Gideon likes you."
Sophie blushed. "How is it going with Will?"
"Well," I replied. "The two of us are kind of a thing now. We've kissed a couple times."
Sophie beamed. "That's wonderful!"
Jace came over and sat down next to me. "Heyyyyy, Clary," He slurred.
I scowled at him. "Jace, I think you've had too much to drink. I'm Tessa."
He giggled. "Oh."
Alec Lightwood came over and grabbed Jace's arm. "Come on," He said. "I'm driving you home, Jace. You're drunk."
Jace giggled again, stood up, and left with Alec.
Sophie and I exchanged glances.
"Did Jace Herondale just come over here and giggle?" She asked, bewildered.
"I think he did," I answered.
We burst out laughing.
Will sat down next to me. "Cece is ignoring me," He said, sighing. "I think she's drunk."
Will's eyes looked especially sad. I kissed his cheek.
"Where's Jem?" Sophie asked.
Will bit his lip. "In Heaven."
"Oh. I'm so sorry."
"It's okay. I mean, you're okay. I'm not. Well, I am, but not really. I don't know."
He got up and walked off.
I sighed. "I'm worried about him."
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to trigger him."
"It's okay. You had no way of knowing. I just hope he'll be okay."
I watched Will disappear into the crowd, hoping this depression didn't get the best of him.
Please don't let him disappear for good.