Chapter Three

Will

I was one of the first people in the classroom. I put my things down in the middle seat of third row. Next, I put my feet up in the chair next to me, saving a spot for Jem. This was one of the few classes we had together. And by few I mean three. I heard footsteps approach the door. Sophie Collins and the new girl, Tessa Gray, walked in the room. My eyes lingered on Tessa a moment longer than they did on Sophie. She had long, light brown curly hair and gray eyes. She was beautiful. She wasn't beautiful like my adoptive sister Jessamine was, for I could tell she didn't spend hours in the bathroom styling her hair and face, but she was naturally pretty. I could see no trace of makeup on her face.
I smiled at the girls. "Tessa, Sophie, would you like to sit by me this period?" I asked them. Tessa got a look on her face that I was used to. It was the dumbstruck he remembered my name?! face. Of course I remembered her name. What would be the use in forgetting it?
"Sure," Tessa replied. She walked over and shyly sat in the seat I didn't have my feet in. Sophie sat next to her.
Other kids started pouring in the room. Almost all of them greeted me with, "Hi, Will!" and I replied with "What's up?" People sat as close to me as they could. Behind me, in front of me, next to Jem's seat, but not in the seat I had my feet in.
Finally, my sister, Cecily, and Jem walked in the room. Cecily was drinking a slush from Sonic, her favorite fast food restaurant. "Cec, did you really run to Sonic and back?" I asked. She shrugged. "Why the heck not? There's one just down the street. Plus, we can have food in this class." She sat down in an empty desk.
Jem walked over to me. He's my best friend and adopted brother. I moved my feet and he sat down. Here's the thing about my family; The only two people who are blood related in it are Cecily and I. Our parents left us when we were young, so our adoptive parents, Charlotte and Henry, took us in. After they got us, they adopted Jem, who's mother was dead and who's father was on drugs. Finally, they took in Jessamine Lovelace. Jessamine never shared what happened to her parents. She was older than all of us when it happened, so it was harder for her to adapt to Charlotte and Henry. The thing is, nobody at school knows that Jem or Jessamine are my siblings.
"How have you been, Jemmy?" I asked my brother. "Just fine, thank you, Will," He replied, smiling. "No problems?" I asked. "None at all," He answered. I turned to Tessa. "Tessa Gray, meet my best friend in the entire universe, Jem Carstairs," I introduced. Jem smiled warmly at Tessa and she smiled back.
She was even prettier when she smiled.