Chapter Two

Tessa

I walked inside the office. Inside, there was a lady sitting at a desk. A girl with long brown hair that hid part of her face was sitting at a chair near the desk. I walked towards the desk. "Hello, I'm Theresa Gray. I'm new here," I said. The lady smiled. "Hi, Theresa," She said. "Sophie, come here." The brown haired girl got up and walked over to us. She smiled at me. "I'm Sophie," She said. "Tessa," I told her. "Sophie will walk you to all your classes to show you where they are. She'll also take you to your locker and to lunch. Have a good day, girls," The lady said. Sophie smiled at me and we turned towards the door. All of the sudden, three people exploded out of a different door.
There was a middle aged man, a middle aged woman, and a tall boy with black hair and blue eyes. It wasn't Will. "That's the principal, Mrs. Lightwood, and that's the superintendent, Mr. Lightwood. That boy is their son. His name is Alec," Sophie whispered to me. I nodded. It looked like the three of them were coming out of the principal's office. They were arguing.
"Alec, honey, why does it have to be him, if anybody?" Mrs. Lightwood asked. "I love him," Alec replied shortly. Mr. Lightwood started towards him. "Alexander, we'll fix you. We can get you help," He said. Alec jerked away from him. "I don't want to be fixed! I'm gay, Dad! I'm homosexual and I don't care if the whole world knows it!" Alec shouted. Then he left the office, slamming the door behind him.
What a great first impression for the principal and superintendent. I would know to be careful around them. Mr. Lightwood looked to be homophobic. Were all the people in the school like this? Will and Sophie seemed nice enough, but I would still make sure nobody knew about my home life.
Mrs. Lightwood seemed to finally notice me. She smiled. "You're the new student, Theresa Gray?" I nodded. "I'm Mrs. Lightwood, your principal. The bell will be ringing soon, so the two of you best be off," She said.
Sophie and I exited the office and she led me down a hallway. We stopped near the end of a line of lockers. "Since you're new and it's the second semester, your locker won't be placed in alphabetical order. You have the last one in the row. Next to... Cristina Rosales, I believe," Sophie told me. A pieces of paper was wedged into my locker. I opened it and it turned out to be my schedule.

Period 1: Biology
Period 2: U.S. History
Period 3: Spanish
Period 4: Gym
Lunch
Period 5: Chemistry
Period 6: Literature
Period 7: Calculus
Period 8: Writing

Sophie was reading over my shoulder. "First hour biology? I have that class first, too." She smiled at me. "Room 215."
I grabbed my trapper keeper and the science textbook that had been placed in my locker and we headed to room 215.
We entered the room. Sitting at a desk in the front of the room was a woman with dyed white hair. Her name was Ms. Loss. I knew this because it was written on the board.
Looking around the room, I did not see Will, to my disappoint. In the a table in the back sat Alec Lightwood next to a boy with glittery hair who was wearing eyeliner. I wondered if that was the boy Alec had a crush on.
At another table sat a girl with black curly hair and blue eyes. She looked a lot like Will. She sat next to a boy with brown hair. They seemed to be flirting with each other. "Is that girl Will Herondale's sister?" I whispered to Sophie. "Yes," She replied. "Her name is Cecily. One of the most popular girls in the school. Most people think she's well liked because she's Will's sister, and everybody is in love with Will. The boy she's sitting next to is Gabriel Lightwood. He's Alec's cousin." "Is that boy his brother?" I asked Sophie, nodding towards a blonde boy who had the same face shape as Gabriel. Sophie blushed when I mentioned the boy. "Er, yes. That's Gideon Lightwood," She said.
Gideon had spotted Sophie and walked over. "Hello," He said to us. "You're new here?" That question was directed at me. "Yes," I said. "Welcome," Gideon greeted. His attention shifted back to Sophie. I could see how much he loved her in his eyes. "How have you been, Sophie?" He asked. "Good, thank you. What about yourself?" Sophie replied. "Just fine, thank you." He brushed her hair out of her face. I got a quick glimpse of a scar tracing from the corner of her eye to the edge of her mouth. Sophie quickly angled her hair to where it was covered. I was tempted to ask what happened, but I didn't want to seem rude. I wanted to be close friends with at least one person in this place. I heard the door open and shut and looked to see who had entered to room. I hoped it was Will. I wanted to see him again. Instead, a boy with silver hair walked into the room and put his things down next to Gideon's. His hair didn't look dyed.
The bell rang. Gideon went back to his seat and Sophie and I sat at the table behind the silver haired boy and Gideon.
Ms. Loss lectured us on the human body for the entire class. She gave us five minutes at the end of class to talk. "Who is he?" I whispered to Sophie, nodding at the silver haired boy. "That's Jem Carstairs. His cousin, Emma, moved into town last year. He's also Will's best friend, so if you want to stay on Will's good side, don't be mean to Jem."
"Why is his hair...?" I trailed off, not wanting to be rude.
"Silver?" Sophie finished for me. "See, when Jem was born, he had some pretty horrible heart problems. They gave him a treatment using a drug called yin fen. It normally heals the patient completely, but something in Jem's immune system made it backfire. It keeps his heart beating, but it's slowly killing him. The second he stops taking it daily, he'll die. It did something to his hair and eyes, too, and now they're the color of the drug."
"That's horrible," I whispered. Sophie nodded. The bell rang.
"I have U.S. History next," I told Sophie. "As do I," She said. We walked to room 213 and entered.
There was an empty desk on either side of Will Herondale.