Part 13: The Feast

As I had presumed nobody had ever been put in two houses, let alone three. Over the course of the entire feast the conversation seemed to be centred around me.

The food itself was delicious, usually eating was just something I did to sustain energy leading me to neglect my body. I suppose I took after Sherlock in that sense, he never seemed to eat when on a case, slowed him down apparently.
The atmosphere of the hall was some of the most pleasant I'd felt in a while; at home everything felt very uptight, constantly having to uphold my appearance and composure.
Fred and George were clearly the most charismatic of the Gryffindor first years. They already seemed to be picking out their pranking victims. Another first year by the name of Kenneth Towler seemed to be rather shy and rule abiding, the perfect victim for pranks.

There seemed to be several that were interested in Quidditch, a wizard game I had only heard about (coming from a muggle background). Fred and George seemed to play a lot, they preferred the position of beater. Two other girls also seemed to have a fascination for the sport, Alicia Spinnet and Angelina Johnson- both playing chaser.

I myself wanted to try Quidditch, the mechanics and physics of flying on brooms seemed intriguing as well as absurd.
As the chat seemed to die down and the remainder of the food had disappeared Dumbledore stepped to the front to speak.

'Just a few start of term notices now you have all been fed and watered. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils.'

I scoffed at that statement and the twins seemed to have a similar outlook, a moments eye contact confirmed that we would all be entering the forest soon.

Dumbledore seemingly oblivious to the exchange continued
'Mr Filch, the caretaker, would like to remind you that magic should not be performed in the corridors between lessons'

Filch was someone who I was going to run in to a lot.

''Quidditch trials will also be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for the house teams should contact Madam Hooch. That is all for the important notices however before bed, let us sing the school song. Pick your favourite tune and sing along.'

'Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.'

Everyone finished at different times, many I noticed singing to the tune of muggle songs. After the song was done and Dumbledore conducted the last lines he instructed everyone to bed.

The prefects directed the first years out of the hall and to the common rooms leaving me stood alone with only the teachers remaining. I felt slightly overwhelmed being a single first year faced with all of the professors but put on my most confident air.
I'd dealt with threats on my life before, what is a few adults to that?

Although many of them still looked slightly dumbstruck with my circumstances they had time to comprehend it to a certain degree.

'Miss Holmes, you continue to surprise me' Dumbledore began. 'You used advanced magic the first time using a wand and now doing something nobody has done before- be sorted in to multiple houses. It is clearly intentional so in intend for you to remain in all of them. You will have rooms in all three houses and be allowed in all three common rooms. In your lessons at Hogwarts all classes have two houses in, since Hufflepuff is the only house you aren't in you will always be in the class Hufflepuff isn't. House points will be given and taken evenly, if you gain 30 points for example, 10 will go to each house.'

All of the teachers seemed satisfied with the conclusion Dumbledore had reached, either because it made sense or because they blindly trusted the man.
Dumbledore chuckled quietly to himself,
'Nobody here blindly follows me, Miss Holmes, if they agree it's because they agree with the idea, not me.'

Mind reading, again? Or as I have found out from reading, legimency. I needed to learn occlumency, I hated leaving my mind open and vulnerable.

I turned away heading for the Gryffindor common room, I knew where it was from 'Hogwarts: A history'. I was about the turn around, remembering that I need the password before...'

'The password is 'Consaluto', Miss Holmes'

I definitely needed to learn occlumency.

I hope you understand how the system will work for her houses. I made the choice for her to be sorted this way for a reason, not just because I couldn't decide or because I wanted another way to make her 'different'. It will play a part in her storyline.

Hope you enjoyed this long chapter :)